Does cologne have residual odor even after scent-free bathing?

yokelokie

Postby yokelokie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 am

Are their certain human odors that linger even after our best efforts to eliminate them? I am wondering if oily perfumes, colognes, scented soaps, etc. are still detectable to game even after bathing in scent-free soap, baking soda, etc. Are there certain products such as cologne that I should discontinue using until after hunting season?

bobow

RE: Does cologne have residual odor even after scent-free bathing?

Postby bobow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

I suggest you do a search for scent control to see all the discussion about that.

From all that I have read it seems to be a common theme of not using anything like that at least 30 days prior to hunting season.

Without scientific experiment I suppose is all a matter of personal preference or paranoia.  Stopping the use of scented deodorant & cologne 30 days prior & using unscented products sure can't hurt IMO.

On the opposite side of the spectrum are the stories of riding 4-wheelers or whatever close to the stand wearing gas & oil smelling clothes and then encountering deer.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 pm

[font="Courier New"]If it's any good, it does.[/font] [;)]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Like many I dont use cologne during hunting season or even before it.. To me there is just to much to risk.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:05 pm

During hunting season, i use all scent away products or something very similar. Start to finish.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 pm

I use unscented Dove soap all year, as well as unscented deoderant. Once hunting season starts I start taking chlolophyll capsules, as well as using Scent-A-Way shampoo. I hunt on the ground, and very rarely do I get scent-busted.

I also got out of the habit of using cologne about 30 years ago.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:23 am

WW...except for the chlorophyll, your routine is exactly the same as mine. Unscented Dove and deodorant, Scent a Way shampoo and gave up cologne many, many years ago. Almost thought that I wrote your response myself.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am

I would have to say the cologne can only hurt...leave the ''foo foo'' alone during anytime involved around serious hunting.

Watch a dog at someones house great you....they usually come up and sniff right at your crotch and rear....they are smelling you....then they go get a big wiff of your shoes...again smelling you...these are critical areas that you emit odors from...they are the same ones deer will catch a small wiff of and blow air and leave....more specific......feet crotch.....breath...those 3 regions need to be free of scent...[or close as you can get] and given much more detail....cologne will just be adding to the equation...good luck[:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm

ORIGINAL: jonny5buck

I would have to say the cologne can only hurt...leave the ''foo foo'' alone during anytime involved around serious hunting.

Watch a dog at someones house great you....they usually come up and sniff right at your crotch and rear....they are smelling you....then they go get a big wiff of your shoes...again smelling you...these are critical areas that you emit odors from...they are the same ones deer will catch a small wiff of and blow air and leave....more specific......feet crotch.....breath...those 3 regions need to be free of scent...[or close as you can get] and given much more detail....cologne will just be adding to the equation...good luck[:D]

This is the exact reason why I take a "fanny bath" in doe urine before I hunt.......and also why I wear a chasity belt.....[:D] [;)] [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators