Guides

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JOEL

Guides

Postby JOEL » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:12 am

Im going to use an oufitter guide for the first time.Im goingto hunt the adirondaks and i want it to be a good time so im going this route.It's a fair chase hunt so ya know.Since i've never done this before i wanted to see what questions i should ask before i go,how  to check up on the guide i picked etc.I allready  have one in mind ,hes a member of the BBB so i checked that and its okay,i got some names and numbers  of references to call also.I have some questions written down but i want to see what everyone else has to say before i call agin to speak with the guide.Also any other tips or things i might want to know on this topic please feel free to add.thanks guys
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunter480

RE: Guides

Postby hunter480 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:38 am

Joel-you don`t say what you`re hunting for-I`m guessing white-tail deer.

Ask the outfitter what gear you need to bring, how physical the hunt will be, are the tags included in the cost of the hunt, is field dressing included, how will you ship the meat, or will that be expected to be left at camp, are there minumum requirements as to the animals you`re hunting, in other words, are you hunting cull bucks, or "trophy" hunting, do you have a place to check the zero of your bow/gun.

That`s all I can think of for now......

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:32 am

keep calling see how the animals are doing, if hes got any trail cam pics if he could send ya them by email. what kinda gear and a big one what the weathers been like for the most part.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 am

keep  em coming never thought of the trail camera pics,Im hunting wild fair chase deer abd black bear,the tags are unused from last year,NY has a  thing where you can use last years unfilled tags in the early bow season in the northetn zone,no trophy fees i asked,if i want them butchered up there is a fee but its the going rate 50$, i useually do it myself,they do have lockers for the meat and im driving there and back so thats covered.Thanks for the help guys
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 am

Early bear starts in sept around the 15th The last 3 days in sept are for hunters who have tags left over from last year (07).I would ask the sucess rate of an outfitter,alot of outfitters show a high sucess rate .But they count opportunitys at a buck in their sucess rate.Most in important make sure your outfiiters understands what you want and expect.If the outfitters has done his homework you will have a good hunt.If you go on New York's website you can access it and look at wmu kills .Ask the outfitter what size bucks to expect to see or have been taken in the area. In the past it has been warm ,like 80 deg. I just had a 1 1/2 weeks of rain .I haven't seen a good acorn crop in a couple years in my area.When the beech nuts are good the bear sign is good.   
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Ask the outfitter for a list of addresses and phone numbers of his past customers. [;)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to General Discussions