G5 - Striker

ranwin33

G5 - Striker

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 am

My wife got these for me on my birthday last April - so have been hunting with them this year.  Took one doe so far, complete pass through.  Good blood, deer traveled maybe 50 yards before dropping. 

No complaints with the broadhead's performance.  I don't think they put the same caliber of hole in the deer the Sonics do, but there was plenty of blood so I cannot complain.  On the plus side, they are more than a one use broadhead.  Cleaning this one up, honing the edge a little bit and she'll be good to go.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Ballen1201@yahoo.com

RE: G5 - Striker

Postby Ballen1201@yahoo.com » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 am

Good to hear man..I love G5's products i'm a montec guy though. Cant wait to try out the new Carbon Steel montecs.

spottedskunk

Postby spottedskunk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:35 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

My wife got these for me on my birthday last April - so have been hunting with them this year.  Took one doe so far, complete pass through.  Good blood, deer traveled maybe 50 yards before dropping. 

No complaints with the broadhead's performance.  I don't think they put the same caliber of hole in the deer the Sonics do, but there was plenty of blood so I cannot complain.  On the plus side, they are more than a one use broadhead.  Cleaning this one up, honing the edge a little bit and she'll be good to go.

I took a small doe with them and she went 11 yards and started to do the death dance. Great penetration, good size hole, does its job if I do mine.

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:21 am

I  shot a doe at 30 yards with one.She went maybe 20 yards
it was a complete pass through i have no complaints.
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

whtail101

Postby whtail101 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Been using strikers for a few years now.  Awesome!  Always a pass thru and intact.  Would recommend to anyone.  Last 2 deer didnt even go 30 yards!

Tim H

Re: G5 - Striker

Postby Tim H » Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 am

I have used G5 Montecs for several years, and just recently switched to Strikers because I prefer a replacable blade head. It makes sharpening a lot easier!
I have a couple reservations about both heads though. I noticed that on my Montec broadheads, the sharpening doesn't appear to be symetrical. This isn't just on one head, but on most of them. If you spin the broadhead you will notice that the sharpening bevel is at a different distance from the tip on each side. Pretty frustrating when they cost almost $20 each. I figure this may be a contributor to erratic flight I sometimes saw.
My only complaint with the Strikers is that they never seem to tighten up properly when installed. The soft copper collar is great, but when the head is threaded on to my arrows, there always seems to be a lot of play in the blades. Maybe I'm just too picky.

I have had great performance with the both broadheads though. Two days into the 2010 season I dropped a buck at 45yds broadside. The 125gr Striker glanced off the back off his front femur, taking a sizable chunk of bone off, and shattering one of the blades. The arrow kept going though, punching through the middle of a rib bone, both lungs, and finally stopping in the far side of the rib cage. When I saw how much bone that head busted through, I was pretty happy I switched to 125grain heads this year.
"To succeed where others fail, go where others fail to go."

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 am

I used the strikers for 3 years. They are great broadheads, but I was not getting the blood trails I wanted. always a pass through, and a recovered deer,just a lack of blood for how the deer were hit. I have several friends that use them and they have had the same problems. I have switched to the Blood Runners and I really like em. Hold up well, easy to sharpen, and great blood trails.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 am

I've been using Strikers for a couple of years now and really like their performance. I have taken 5 shots at deer with Striker broadheads and collected all 5 deer. Only one of them wasn't a complete pass-through and that's because I hit the spine. That broadhead stayed intact after breaking heavy bone. Only one of the deer I shot went more than 50 yards and that one traveled less than 80 yards.

I used the same broadhead on each of the three deer I shot in 2010 and only had to replace the blades on it. The blood trails are not what you might get with mechanical heads, but a properly placed shot gets the job done quickly.

I love the durability, accuracy, and reliability of these broadheads. I don't see a reason to use another make of broadhead.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Broadheads