Reactions to King Buck Story

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ben Sobieck

Reactions to King Buck Story

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu May 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Deer & Deer Hunting's story about the Johnny King buck is making waves throughout the deer hunting community. What did you think about the piece? Do you agree or disagree with Boone & Crockett's decisions?

Marc Anthony

Re: Reactions to King Buck Story

Postby Marc Anthony » Thu May 05, 2011 5:23 pm

I personally agree with the B&C decision. I have shown the pictures to official B&C scorers that I know and they unanimously say the B&C is correct. Although each person I've shown the pictures to agree, they do find it difficult in making their decision.

I say if you don't like the B&C system, don't attempt to join it!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

deerslayer1

Postby deerslayer1 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 pm

that guy marc sounds like a typical jealous wanna be hunter. that buck is tremendous, and if any buck deserves recognition its that one. i`m just sorry that it wasn`t handled properly. reguardless though it should be scored . no one man should have the power to keep that from happening, and steps should be taken to unseat that guy. also steps should be taken to see that this type of discrimination doesn`t happen in the future. changes need to be made and us hunters as a community need to see that its done. i mean i dont remember voteing that guy god of all thats white-tail.

just sayin,
Gary

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 am

Gary, I'm all for crucifying anyone who selfishly discredits another man's accomplishments, but remember, there are two sides to every story. That "one man" has scored countless B&C deer and knows what to look for. B&C has (and has had), a "No score shopping policy" that has been strictly enforced for decades. Believe me, the King head isn't the only head that has ever been the subject of controversy.

I also have shared up close pictures of the King head to local B&C scorers who have scored countless monster Illinois heads and they agree, it's a non typical point! If Jack knows it's a non typical point, why on earth is he obligated to have it panel scored when it doesn't meet the criteria for panel judgement? Do you want to know how many times a person wants to have their head re-scored because they're not happy with the score? It's countless! I wrote an article 3 years ago called "Don't shoot the messenger" revealing nasty details how disgruntled hunters who aren't happy with their scores, threaten B&C scorers! Oh believe me, it's true!

My final thought and question for you to ponder is this: Who will gain from this head becoming a world record? The hunter? Not really, because he doesn't own the head. It would be the owner! I wonder how much he paid for a head that could possibly become the next world record?

Before I reveal too much, I want to mention that I'm leading an investigation into this subject and may have some really interesting facts of interest. I'm not going to jump the gun but rather giving you the heads-up that there is more to come!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri May 06, 2011 11:55 am

I never understood why guys would go thru all that to get a buck scored,it seems like it is a certain ''type'' of individual that thinks all of it will somehow make it worth it...i understand that some people have that option,but this story just solidify's what i hold true to myself...the buck itself is an accomplishment...the hunt and the memories of it should take priority over a score...i know some guys will agree with that and in the same breath would be the first ones taking their deer to get scored and going thru this entire baffling process...im sorry but if you ''need '' your name in a book for the recognition,and are blinded by the good fortune that comes with harvesting an animal like that ...than we will never see eye to eye.....this should be filed under '''Antler Illness'' article that DDH had run... :lol:

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Troubling story to say the least. I can't imagine selling that kind of rack but maybe it was his way with dealing with the troubles. I think the hunter was deprived of a fair title and I don't like it one bit.
It's a fine line between passion and obsession ... my wife reminds me of this each fall

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Interesting read, hard to say if its biased or not, i'd like to think it was not.
Of course as mentioned there are always two sides to each story.

Interesting though many people have gone on record stating its a typical.
Seems there might be as much effort to discredit this buck and persons as there is to get it officially scored.

On the surface from only the details provided int the article, that the B&C gentleman, may have gotten his feathers ruffled in the beginning. Perhaps took things a little personal and now his pride isn't allowing him to do the right thing.

I ask you after-all, what does the Reneau fella have to lose from allowing it to go to panel? Nothing but his pride.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jeffe

Postby jeffe » Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 pm

I never realized that B&C was a dictatorship headed by Jack Reneau. The bottom line is, no matter who owns the rack, this is a magnificent animal that deserves a chance to possibly take its place among the greatest of all time. What's the harm in letting a panel of B&C's best/chosen look at the rack and make a democratic decision based on the facts outlined by B&C's own rule book once and for all. Wouldn't that be what's fair? Don't we owe it to the animal? Does it make sense that hunters are pitted against each other because one man makes a decision and won't let anyone check his work? We, as hunters, take EVERYTHING from the animal when we take it's life. Giving it this consideration seems like the least we could do in return.

msts08

Postby msts08 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

I think it's just a shame that this is happening to king..It's not right he clearly has the world's record..Let it stand...In all honest'y it sound like old jack reneau is a little envy?And he sound's like one of those guy's if i can't win i don't want to play?? In all it's a beautiful buck and should get the compensation it deserve's...Men can't do right by moral's anymore..It's clearly a money thing and your taking that away..It's called Greed jack Reneau..you shouldn't be aloud to measure and score anything....Jack.. msts08

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri May 06, 2011 1:28 pm

I think I would be able to sleep better at night knowing if I had shot a great buck thousands of hunters dream of. Why cant that be good enough?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to General Discussions