Need a Brassica/Tuber Recommendation

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Ben Sobieck

Need a Brassica/Tuber Recommendation

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 pm

A bit back, I asked you helpful forum folks about what to plant in a North Dakota food plot. The parcel is surrounded by ag. The trick is to get deer to eat at a food plot over what they can find in the crop fields.

My dad and I went to the property last weekend, and despite getting caught in a windy Plains blizzard, we determined no one is planting tubers in the ag areas. In fact, these North Dakota deer probably don't know what a tuber is yet.

So I'm looking for a recommendation from you about what blend to plant. Can you suggest something?

GTOHunter

Re: Need a Brassica/Tuber Recommendation

Postby GTOHunter » Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 pm

I actually have several to reccomend or even blend together...I use the "Shot Plot" Forage Rape and Turnip Brassicas seed,then I add some Purple-top Turnips in the mix and even some sugar beets for good measure.I have also blended in the Whitetail Institutes "Tall Tine Tubers" that has 3 different types of Turnips....with a mixture like this the Deer can't resist such a great selection of Plants.I wish I could get the picture posting process down because I have some great pictures of one of our Food Plots that looks like a dark green Sea of green leaves/plants!
If I'm not Hunting for Deer...I'm Hunting for Pontiacs!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements