Building stands

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
msbadger

Building stands

Postby msbadger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:57 am

Well this should get a discussion going....I have many...many stands and alot of them I have built....now I KNOW how dangerous a built stand can be...that being said I AlWAYS check and double check all stands before stepping on platform and all stands are checked and repaired if needed yearly...I have harness hook ups in all made stands and are hooked in ...well above my head before stepping on platforms...I have built 16ft ladder stands...a few hang ons ...and many ..what I call nest stands...in the "crutch" of LRG. old maples....what do you have ?

OHhunter

RE: Building stands

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:53 am

I have use several different models of hang ons, I usually buy them when I can find them on sale for around 50 to 75 bucks.  I also use a API grand slam climber.  In the past I have used home made ladder stands, all made from metal, but they were one piece, heavy and only about 14 feet tall.  I still have a couple but they don't get used anymore. 

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 pm

I have several chain on stands a a few ladder stands . DICK's Sporting Goods has the 15' ladder stands on sale quite often for $50 . On their newer ladder stands the support bar that goes between the tree and ladder is adjustable . That makes for a nice setup . These aren't as comfortable as larger home built stands but it's hard to beat for the price !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 pm

Yep I have 4 of those and they'er comfy and easy to move if needed...but even with chains and locks I have to be very careful where I put them...the ladder stands I make are done with Pt 2x4's and are soooo heavy it takes 2 ppl and the tractor to put them up and then chain.....

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:11 pm

All the homemade stands I used in the past were made from scrap metal, with the price of scrap these day I could probably haul them all in and make enough money to buy some new hang ons that weigh about 50lbs. less.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:39 pm

at our old camp we built 20 + stands.they were made of pressure treated wood and a sound design.they were bolted  together and lags were used to anchor to the tree in several spots.since we worked in the billboard buisnees we all had excellent building skills and had lots of "extra"steel ladders laying around.these days my summit climber is my fave .i tried hang ons but they are too small for the all day hunts i do.same goes for ladder stands
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

SyracuseBowhunter

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 pm

When I was younger I used to build 16' ladder stands from pressure treated lumber with large platforms on top and used them on my friend's property.  Now, I do the same as FastEddie.  When Dick's has a sale, I buy their 15' ladderstands and put them together.  I have 8 on my property, 2 on a friend's 100 acres, and another 1 on a different piece of property.  I also have an API climber I use when hunting public land.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm

I never go into Dicks.......what a waste of a, so called, sporting goods store. Their hunting gear is the cheapest stuff you can find anywhere, and the selection is pitiful on top of that. They`re more of a cut-rate soccor mom store than anything else.

As to stands, I`ve hunted out of some home-made stands, and it wasn`t too bad. If as some have said, they`re put together well, as in, bolted together, and checked regularily, then they`re safe enough.

It just so happens, that my hunting partner and I hunt exclusively out of, either, ladder stands, or commercial ground blinds.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:37 am

I use many different set-ups, including my climber (lone wolf which i love), ladder stands, and hang-on stands.

In regards to building stands, we have a few permanent stands on my father's property.  We take telephone poles, left over when utility companies replace them in the area (most are still more than sound) and we sink four posts (you can even rip these poles if they are larger in size to get two from one).  This way we don't rely on any trees for stability or nails in trees which can easily pull-out from wind and other influences.

On this independent base of four posts, we will build about a 3' x 3' enclosed platform.  Now we have a shooting rest on all four sides, we have almost all movement blocked, and we extend 2x4's to a height of about 6.5' and make a simple slanted roof with left-over shingles.  The overall height varies depending on terrain, cover, etc. but most range from about 15' to our tallest at about 30'.

Some go the extra mile and install windows, etc., but here in southern PA the temps don't really warrant the need for this.  The roof eliminates the rain which is pretty much the worst we have to prepare for.

We also go a little further and cut shooting lanes for these stands.  We then kill two birds and plant various things in these lanes...clover, brassica, etc.

These are primarily our rifle stands, not really suited for archery, but they work great for this application.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:49 pm

I once made two short ladder stands out of pallets.  They were shakey but I didn't mind because they were only about 8 feet tall.  I felt safest when I positioned them in a split trunked tree.  I'd have the platform on one trunk and some part of the ladder leaning on the other.  I didn't think they were all that great, but both were stolen, so I guess someone was inpressed.

Next

Return to Tree Stands