Seeking Suggestions from Members

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
Ben Sobieck

Seeking Suggestions from Members

Postby Ben Sobieck » Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Everyone,

After we transitioned to the new forum yesterday, D&DH received some suggestions about what we could change to make it a better place. This thread is to consolidate all those comments in one place.

What do you like or not like about the forum? If you could change it, how would you? Let us know.

Thanks,

Ben

joaxe

Re: Seeking Suggestions from Members

Postby joaxe » Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 am

Ben,

The Forward and Back buttons in the IE browser don't work on this site. However, the workaround is to use the Forum navigation links at the top of the site window (just under the D&DH logo/deer photo).

It will take some getting used to but I like the increased performance of the forum site!

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Mathews Switchback XT 28" DL
MBG Radiant, Whisker Biscuit, String Splitter
Strikers/Tricks/Blazers, Aero Hunter and World's Best Strings

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Ben,
after logging in this morning, I closed the window and went to town. When I went back to the website this afternoon, I was still logged in. This is not a problem for me, I'm just saying that it appears that I have to hit "LOGOUT" in the upper right hand of the page when I sign off. Otherwise I stay on until...????

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Reading through new posts this afternoon. When I click on the title of the post it takes me to the beginning (15 pages away from the latest post if you're looking at WI crossbow hunting). I then can click to the last page (or I could have clicked the last page as shown on the header). It seems to me that the old site took us to the latest post. Perhaps that assumes that we've been following all along but I would think to go automatically to the latest post (with an option to go to the beginning) would make more sense

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Ben,
I'm a real pain in the backside today aren't I? We recently had a post on the old site, where someone suggested that we search existing forums for similar subjects before starting a new thread. With the new site, it appears there is no way to search the entire forum for a term. Let's say I wanted to post about "shed hunting". I can't enter shed hunting into a search engine that would show me every place within the site that deals with "shed hunting" . I would have to open each category and then search that category for "shed hunting" before moving on to the next category. I don't know how hard the search function is to manipulate, but I think it would help if we could search more like what we did on the old site. I think I'm done now. No promises I'll go away yet. I might think of something else later on.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat May 07, 2011 6:34 am

It's me again Margaret,
When I went to the site this morning, I see that I was still logged in from yesterday. I opened "view new posts" and looked at one or two of the threads when my computer informed me that I had to restart due to some upgrades. OK . I logged off, ran the restart, and came back to the site where I again clicked "view new posts' and I got a "no items match" message. So what happened to the rest of that list that I didn't read on the first go round? Being a curious sort, I then clicked on "view unread posts" which had about 4 on it. Maybe these were what was in "new posts" before I logged off? I then went through the 4 posts and each one disappeared after I had read it and hit the back button. What if I wanted to respond to 2 of those 4 posts that I just read? Where do I find them now? In the old version of your site, I would click on "posts since last visit" and get a list of, lets say 30. I might skim through the 30, decide only 10 held real interest for me, and read those ten. I'd then go back and possibly respond to one or two of the ones that I just read if I had something to offer. If I do that now on the "unread" menu, the posts are gone. I'd have to respond to each in the order that I read it. Sometimes I get booted offline so when I'd go back later (on the old site) I could change my last visit time to 12 hours previous and get back that list of posts from overnight. The new site doesn't allow changing last visit times manually, does it?

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sat May 07, 2011 6:45 am

Liked the header on the left.

dont like the color of the format, hard for me to see.

when checking out a topic, scrolling too the bottom, There needs to be a (fourm home)
button at the bottom of the page.
The fourm jump botton is nice but its a blind jump. I like to be able to see new topics and posts
so I go to the fourm home page.

Also liked seeing who and what topic was replied to on the main fourm page.

get er done boys. jake
Last edited by motorbreaker on Sun May 15, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 pm

I have to shrink the size of the page down to 75% if I want to view the entire width of the page. By doing that, the print is so small it becomes difficult to read. Not a big deal, just wanted to let you know.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Ben,
It would be nice to know whose is logged in and who, if anyone is reading the same topic/post. Also, it would be nice to be able to see the post I'm replying to without having to quote the original post or open up a new browser instance and browse to that post. The old forum format use to allow this, this newer format does not.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:23 pm

MShunter,if you scroll down to the bottom, leftside, below the reply tab, it shows who is logged in on that posted topic.

When posting a reply, scroll down, and the existing posts are there, only in reverse,( last post will be first ).
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Next

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ