MIneral Recipe

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ajkremer22

MIneral Recipe

Postby ajkremer22 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Does anyone have a good mineral recipe they use that they wouldn't mind sharing? Been buying some of the Whitetail Institute 30-06 but just to expensive. Looking for a good all season formula.

Thanks
Andy

Wanderer

Re: MIneral Recipe

Postby Wanderer » Fri May 27, 2011 7:06 am

Heres the recipe that I have. I don't remember who I got it from.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

River Oaks Wildlife

Re: MIneral Recipe

Postby River Oaks Wildlife » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:18 am

ajkremer22 wrote:Does anyone have a good mineral recipe they use that they wouldn't mind sharing? Been buying some of the Whitetail Institute 30-06 but just to expensive. Looking for a good all season formula.

Thanks
Andy

Hey Andy, The product you were useing is not a true deer mineral. Its 47% salt and is lacking in all areas of required elements and balance to offer your deer any gains in health or nutrition. Its honestly an attractant than a body builder. As for the home brew mixes be carefull with some of these as they are cattle mix. Your growing deer not cows and their requirements and rates of absorbtion and useage far exceed a basic cattle mix Minerals do work for deer,but they need to be complete and and in balance with each other, as well as a complete vitamin pack as they will help metabolise the minerals in their system. Use Chelated vitamins not synthisized as Chelated will give you about 80% absorbtion rate as to only about 24% in synthasized.calcium rates should be about 20 to 22 % and be of a quality calcium, not calcium carbonate or cal citrate etc...If we can help you out further I will be more than happy to. Thanks and have a great weekend.
Professional wildlife mgt and consulting firm located in N.C,Also southern sales mgr for tecomate seed.
Biochemist,wildlifemanagement/conservation science major
Inventor of Hydroplot soil conditioner

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management