ATV ride with a fun twist

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
JPH

ATV ride with a fun twist

Postby JPH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 am

My daughter and I took a little ATV ride on one of my hunting spots this morning. It's not exactly "low impact" but I'm finding those occasional rides to be a great way to keep the outdoors fun and attractive to a kid who would otherwise be in a shopping mall.

Anyway, in spite of sticking to open ground and major trails, we had an encounter neither of us will forget. We rounded a corner and she spotted a fawn standing just off the trail. I killed the motor and kept the dog quietly at heal while she gently approached the fawn with wide eyes. They shared several minutes of close interaction before my daughter backed away and the fawn wobbled into the bushes. Really cool!
deernet1.jpg
deernet1.jpg (169.73 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Ohio farms

Re: ATV ride with a fun twist

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:23 pm

THAT is a really great picture. You should put that in a frame...priceless.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm

@JPH-that is really, really cool......that may be a once in a lifetime ...and you where right there...that is totally cool-

Thanks for such an awesome photo-

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks guys! Thank God I had a camera, because I've spent a lot of time in the woods and never had that kind of an encounter.

Here's a few more.
deernet2.jpg
deernet2.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 883 times
deernet4.jpg
deernet4.jpg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 883 times
deernet3.jpg
deernet3.jpg (128.69 KiB) Viewed 883 times

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:42 pm

JPH,
Those are awesome pictures!! What a cool experience.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Great pics Joe. You will cherish them more and more as you get older. You should carry a camera at all times so as not to miss anything that presents itself to you. Fawns are so darn cute, and seem so fragile. Almost makes you want to spend more time with it. It looks like it is a buck fawn. In most of the pics I can see little bumps on his head where antlers would be.

I'm never without a camera, sometimes two, in the event one is not working for some reason or another. I came up on this fawn while picking wild black berries. I was just about to take another step and saw the spots, and then made out it's head. Took the pic and moved around it. It never moved. I think it was a little older than the one you have.
Attachments
Scan_Pic0022.jpg
Scan_Pic0022.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 850 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 am

Great pictures JPH. It's also great that your daughter is interested enough to accompany you on a trip out to the stand. Hopefully she'll get into the whole outdoor experience. Keep that camera with you at all times. We wanna see more pictures.

wannabehuntin

Postby wannabehuntin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Way to cool!!
Wannabehuntin

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Great Pictures JPH...My Daughter had her hair cut short just like Your Girl...only she has blonde hair.Its great to see another Youth enjoying the Outdooors,that was a very rare encounter to be able to be that close to a young Fawn! :D :mrgreen:
If I'm not Hunting for Deer...I'm Hunting for Pontiacs!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am

GTOHunter wrote:Great Pictures JPH...My Daughter had her hair cut short just like Your Girl...only she has blonde hair. :

Short hair sure makes getting ready to go somewhere a lot easier don't it? We dads need all the help we can get!

Return to Photo Corner