The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
EatDeer

RE: The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:22 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

My remarks were a figure of speech, but even at that, a poor choice of words, even for an act, I consider to be thoughtless, dangerous, and irresponsible.

And, IF, as you say, you`ve put your round into a deers vitals, as you`ve unloaded your shotgun, then no doubt, you`re a lottery winner as well, since that would be the odds of hitting a running white-tail in the vitals.

And yes, in MY opinion, that does indeed make you a slob hunter-but hey, my opinion certainly couldn`t matter to you.

Please do, feel free to PM me anytime.

[8D]
If I did?  Well I have atleast two photos of deer I shot on the run in the gallery. One is a 8-pointer I took 3 shots at him while he ran in circles 30 yards away in the brush.   The last shot hit him in both the lungs, and he still ran 80 yards way before death.  Another is a doe I shot in the chest while she ran strait towards me at 60 yards. She ran 140 yards then died due to the heart shot. Slob? That "slob" would really be a hunter that doesnt harvest a deer the first decade he hunts, because he can't get out of bed in time to hunt, rather than one that kills atleast 2-3 every year.[8|]             
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 am

Where i hunt you wait for a standing still broad side shot ,you'r going to eat alot of tag soup.I have used a muzzleloader and shot a runnig deer with the one shot kill.It depends on the hunters ability.I would never shoot at a buck that tucks his tail and hits mach 5 when running .I did See David Blanton do this on realtree.He watched the buck trotting in a thick brush and when the deer came into an open field,the buck tucked his tail and turned on the nitrous oxside (sp)  
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Just bring one bullet with ya whe you go hunting..
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I've done alot of group hunt firearm deer drives. I've seen too many deer harvested from a running shot, to belive it isnt going to happen with one shot. Thats even in shotgun only states, not to mention rifles.                        I even harvested a buck with my bow, as he was striding through my shooting lane.  If didnt take the shot he would have walked out of my life forever, but I put it on his shoulder and double lunged him at 35 yards. I wouldn't recommend shooting your bow at a running deer though.    If your weapon skills arent up to performing walking or running shots, then no you shouldnt take a shot like that. But if you can shoot doves flying in over a pond, rabbits running,or quail flying, etc.  You can lead your game, and you can shoot walking or running deer in the vitals. Don't mistake my skills as reckless abandonment, I aim at what I shoot. I dont condone shots at the deers rump at anytime, you won't usualy retrieve the deer when you shoot them there. Only a fool would take just one bullet to hunt deer, and the thought of that is more un-ethical than any kill shot at a running deer will ever be.  Like it or not,there are many hunters that have the skill it takes to harvest moving game. 

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

I agree the running shot is a very doable thing.  I've only ever killed one deer with a rifle running.  But I generally kill several every year with a shotgun.  I was taught to take thier lead by aiming at the nose (or straight down from there in front of the chest) of an all out deer.  The method works ok.  The idea is to get the front shoulder and the vitals.  If he's going slower than you think you'll shoot his throat out and faster you'll still get the back of the lungs and the liver.  If you bead on the shoulder you'll get gut every time.  I never have seen very many deer recovered from that straight away shot although I heard it called a "texas meat shot" all my life.  I think its about as dumb as you can get and even if you do hit him then you have to clean a very badly gutshot animal or you blew his head off which is messy too.  One bullet is asking for trouble.  

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:46 pm

Do they plant animals, is that how you "harvest" them, we kill animals for one thing.. I was mentioning in jest to just take one bullet...I have shot elk right at the base of the tail, with my 300 ultra mag, and killed em stone dead, and have very little waste, I also have shot deer running, I have killed em with one shot, And I have seen em run pretty far lung shot...If any of you hunt elk exspecially in an area were you have to track em, usually after first light in heavely hunted areas, I gaurantee you will shoot one more than once, and sometimes take a "texas heart shot"...But you of course always wait for the best shot...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Didn't mean to offend --- I do try to wait for the best shot but most definitely have seen multi shots go off to get the deal done especially on a hard pushed target.  I just don't like the rump shot because I have cleaned quite a few of them and while there is little waste most of the ones I've went into are pretty bad inside.  One of our camp traditions was the teens cleaned the older folks kills while they ate lunch.  So I got to see all kinds of other types of hits than just mine own, and early on mine were not so great but they got the job done.  I hated that tradition until I turned thirty now I love it[:)]

Also I do agree with you, we most definitly kill these animals, but if someone looks at it as harvesting natures bounty then thats ok with me too.  I personally kill em' and grill em' and thank the lord for allowing me the opportunity to do so.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:46 pm

"Texas meat shot" thats a new one in my book! lol We call them "gutwinders" around here.   Gutpile...I can see it now, the IL, dnr deer harvest quota being called "killing quota"...just to make you happy.[:D] Call harvesting state and privately managed deer, killing or whatever you want, personaly..IDK.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 am

I was raised on running shots and I have cleanly killed a fair number of deer this way (with a smooth bore, bird barrel and bead sight I might add). Those days are over for me now. I only take standing shots today.

Oddly enough, I never wounded a deer while running. I have wounded deer (I'll admit that) but they have come as a result of poorly placed standing shots (aka buck fever).

I am not defending running shots. I do not hunt that way anymore. But those are the facts of how I came up and how I have evolved.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 am

while i prefer a nice standing shot and i don't take running shots i really don't see how its any different than shooting ducks,birds etc.To each his own as long as your not breaking the law or wantonly wasting game by wounding
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions