safety ropes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
howhill1

safety ropes

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:31 am

ive got two 20' ladder stands to put out i plan to install safety ropes in both stands so i can use a prussic knot from the ground to the stand. ive pretty much used my climber exclusivly for years and was able to use my harness as i climbed. my question is if anyone else has used this style of climbing and if so what type of rope did you use ,where did you get it , what was the cost ,and have you ever arrested a fall with it? i know from our fall prevention traing at work that a tether and anchor point should be capable of holding 5,000 lbs to insure a safe arrest. ive looked at ropes at the local hardware stores and have found nothing that comes close to this even though they look really stout. actuall climbing rope from online sources is pretty pricy and comes in lengths way longer than i need.any help would be appreciated.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JOEL

RE: safety ropes

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 am

on the billboards we used steel cable 3/8th i believe with a cable grabber that would be the easiest way to do it.on a scaffold they use a white nylon "safety rope"thats about 1/2 or 3/4 don't remember.,with a rope grabber.both rope grabber and cable grabber are metal that open on a hinge then close around the line.Any good industrial safety place will have these items.otherwise go with 1/2 hemp or nylon  you ain't breaking that.I have a short length of climbing rope that came with my summit and it has a prussic hitch on it .as i climb i move the rope up its real simple http://www.themanstoreonline.com/Rope-Grabs-s/49.htm As far as price goes only you and maybe your life insurance guy can place a value on what your life is worth
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 am

thanks, ive thought about the many robe grabs out there, weve used them in confined space rescue training, and want to stay away from metal, to noisy thats what i like about the prussic.i dont mind paying for quality equipment but i dont want to pay alot for 100' feet of rope when i only need 40'. does anyone sell it by the foot?
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:50 am

i hear ya bout the metal/noise .try campmor store or maybe some rock climbing places
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 pm

There actually IS something out there exactly like you`re describing. I THINK I saw it in either Cabala`s or Red Head. It`s a teather you hang from your ladder stand and use it to climb up after that, always teathered to the tree. For more money, you could even get on that if you fell, you could slowly release it, in a "controlled desent".

I wish I could remember who makes them, sorry, but they ARE out there.

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 pm

its a 20' retracter line found on pg 141 of cabelas archery catalog

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:35 am

yea ive seen those, the fall guy retractor

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:17 pm

howhill,

I went to Cabelas today and saw what your looking for, 2- different stlyes of climbing rope with the prussic hitch. I do not beleive I had seen them in any of their catalogs.

One is made by HSS, called the treestand life-line, model #LLs, it is only a 30 foot rope though.
The other is also a 30 foot rope and prussic hitch sold by Summit called the SOP climbing system they are both around $40.00. Hope this helps.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:58 pm

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:50 am

found em both .thanks

Next

Return to Tree Stands