Update

Sailfish

Update

Postby Sailfish » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

How is everyone?

I've actually made it out fishing x2 this spring. Nothing to write home about. Caught some fish, got the boat out. The property is under water so i can't go shed hunting. Its been a decent trade-off (ocean vs. woods) [8D]

Whats everyone else up to?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jacannon63

RE: Update

Postby jacannon63 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 am

I am starting to catch a few crabs and mullet are showing up on the bars. I haven't checked my dock light yet, but it is about time for speckled trout to be showing up. Bait is showing up in Pensacola bay. Fishing will be good till about October, then it will be time to plant food plots.
Stump sittin since 1981

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm staying on St George Island for a week coming up after next.
I bet I missed the cobia run didn't I?
I probably won't haul my boat up there anyways. Its strictly offshore and I don't know the waters and backwaters up those parts for anything. I'd end up losing a lower unit or skeg most likely [:D]

Kings are  THICK here right now, but won't be for long with the hot days ahead. When I get back the tuna may be showing up though.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Cobia are still around. I hear they are not hungry though. I don't get in the Gulf much this days, most of my fishing is in the bay.
Stump sittin since 1981

69Viking

Re: Update

Postby 69Viking » Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

I've only fished a few times this Spring myself. Can't hardly afford gas for my own boat anymore. Did go out on the Swoop Party Boat out of Destin two weekends ago and caught a bunch of Mingo and White Snapper. Fishing in the Gulf is getting annoying though, trying to catch other species you can't help catch the over abundant Red Snapper and have to throw it back yet we still only get less than 2 months to catch them again this year. Why they think the Red Snapper is endagered is beyond me, they are more out there now than there has ever been. I can remember in the 90's trying to find Red Snapper to catch and it wasn't easy. Now I can't seem to drop a line down at a reef without catching a Red Snapper. Oh well, just means I'll be hanging out at Crab Island drinking a cold one and enjoying the scenery a lot this year!
69Viking

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Bought a new boat a few weeks back. 1965 13' Boston Whaler.
Project boat for the little ones. Hopefully when I am done we can use it to shrimp, crab, lobster, and inshore fishing. Give the kids a much better way to learn running a boat rather than my offshore boat.
Looks like complete stripping of gel coat and a TON of holes needing fixin'...... a TON. I guess after 45 years folks have mounted a bunch of stuff on her.

Otherwise, been mostly pleasure boating and kid fishing lately. No big offshore stuff :twisted:
Did schedule a week for opening of Lobster down in Summerland Key in August. Really looking forward to that.

Honestly as hot as its been this past week, seems like I am already down there!!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:17 pm

I am jealous, have never been out for crab, but when I head down to Florida I usually try to get on a party boat...last few years weather didn't pan out... so where is the invite! Just playing.. hopefully one of these years going to try the keys, have family that stays there with a boat... until then stuck in Venice with the grandparents for family vacation... good luck in the summer sun!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 am

Venice LA or Venice FL? Either one is GOOOD fishing! Venice FL has(d) some incredible snook fishing (hadn't been down since the last freeze though0.
Your welcome to fish or crab whenever your around and I'm free. Crabbing is actually easy, its the processing them that gets "fun"!! Them fella's are VERY aggressive and quick with the claws!!!
Make a point to hit the Keys for a week sometime. Never a bad time to fish down there. Year round there is always something to target....and then of course there is the Duval crawl one must do at least once 8-)

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Venice,fl my grandparents are snow birds so I tend to take full advantage of it...finally have 3 weeks vacation so I am thinking of splitting Venice and the keys up..have a week in Canada this year for a bear hunt and then a week for the rut so will see...I would love to go crabbin if I came down, will see!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:58 am

Shrimped Thursday night. 3 of us probably caught 30 dozen small - med shrimp.

I cleaned all of them Friday and made a big thing of scampi.

Trash guy comes today (Tuesday).........thats 4 days of heads and shells in 92+ degree heat and direct sun (we had a low of 80 at night). I promise you my neighbors HATE me more now than ever :lol: Heck I can't stand myself either. They still haven't picked it up yet today, I can smell it 100+' downwind with the lid on!!!! :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Florida