Funnels and Saddles?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
EatDeer

RE: Funnels and Saddles?

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:14 pm

What is a deer hunting terrain "bottle neck"?     I have a good idea but would like to know for sure.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:36 am

Here's how to identify of a "holler", or "hollow":

Next time you shoot a deer, especially a bigger one, note the final location that it finally dies in, whether it'd be from running or rolling. That location will be the BOTTOM of the holler/hollow!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gatlin

Postby Gatlin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 am

thanks that helps me alot. we have a creek that has a bunch of curves in it and i see alot of ddeer around there. im thinkin about hunting there

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:35 am

that creek sounds interesting!  I had a set up picked out for this year around a twisting creek.  Mine had a little hill with some good cover around and behind it and a 10x30 yd flat in front of it before it fell off into the water the deer crossed the creek at the farthest point but due to the way the hill ran and the thickets behind me they would have to walk right by the stand on the way to a major food plot.  This was a perfect pinchpoint between the hill/thicket and the creek it was the only northern entrance to that plot.  Look for something like that ---- I sat mine in february (it was a new spot) and saw lots of deer-- Unfortunately I won't be sitting it in October...2 months ago a logger made a land line mistake and my spot is now a clear cut---which just sucks

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:56 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

What is a deer hunting terrain "bottle neck"?     I have a good idea but would like to know for sure.

A bottle neck is nothing more than a different way to say funnel. Look at the way the bottle get`s narrower all the way up the "bottle neck".

Just a writers way to use a different description for a funnel.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

that creek sounds interesting!  I had a set up picked out for this year around a twisting creek.  Mine had a little hill with some good cover around and behind it and a 10x30 yd flat in front of it before it fell off into the water the deer crossed the creek at the farthest point but due to the way the hill ran and the thickets behind me they would have to walk right by the stand on the way to a major food plot.  This was a perfect pinchpoint between the hill/thicket and the creek it was the only northern entrance to that plot.  Look for something like that ---- I sat mine in february (it was a new spot) and saw lots of deer-- Unfortunately I won't be sitting it in October...2 months ago a logger made a land line mistake and my spot is now a clear cut---which just sucks
I had that happen to me one year, bummer. I'd throw down some clover seed on that clear cut. The next five years that clear cut should be a hot spot for deer actvitiy.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Previous

Return to General Discussions