Pre-Orbital Lure

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
bullwinkle

Pre-Orbital Lure

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 am

Read the article, would like to try - where do you buy the scent?

bullwinkle

Re: Pre-Orbital Lure

Postby bullwinkle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Found it -

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am

What kind are you going to try?? I'm thinking of trying smokey's deer lure

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Smokey's I am also going to buy some interdigital - helping me train my deer tracking dog and I like the idea of putting some on my boots walking to my stands

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 am

I could be wrong here, but I always thought the interdigital gland that is between the toes is more of a warning sign to other deer. I beleive I read that the scent is emitted when the toes are splayed, as when a deer is startled and begins to run off. If you do use it on your boots, be careful not to use too much, it could work in reverse for you. When a deer walks along normally very little scent is emitted.
Last edited by charlie 01 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Really, thanks for the tip - I thought that was the main scent deer use to identify trails of other deer. Sounds perfect for training my tracking dog

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:34 pm

I read that article as well and was thinking of giving it a try, but it is a little pricey for me. I am reluctant to spend that much on scent till I know it really works and hear from guys in the field using it

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 pm

WBowhunt wrote:I read that article as well and was thinking of giving it a try, but it is a little pricey for me. I am reluctant to spend that much on scent till I know it really works and hear from guys in the field using it

I understand being cautious; I'm the same way. But here's another way to look at it:

1. If a bottle of urine costs $12.95 and lasts five or six uses, and a bottle of pre-orbital costs $21.95 and lasts several months using it a drop at a time, which is the more expensive? Looking at it another way, if one buck can produce only one bottle of pre-orbital lure, but one doe can produce dozens upon dozens of bottles of urine, isn't a bottle of pre-orbital a pretty good deal at less than twice as much?

2. Not sure what you mean by "guys in the field." If the hunters from Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia who were quoted in the article weren't "guys in the field," then who were they?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Jerry Drake

Postby Jerry Drake » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I have just bought some Pre-Orbital Lure and was wondering when would be a good time to start a mock scrape? End of June, beginning or middle of Aug? Over the years I have only found one scrape on my property.There has been some on the neighboring properties but not on mine. So I took a tractor with a box blade and made several passes in a lot of places hoping that I could get them to start. Just don't know when to start, maybe towards the end of velvet??? :roll:

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 am

I think anytime would be OK to start. When I have had trail cams out in spring time checking on antler drop, 2 cams that I had out were at scrapes. I was getting pics of bucks that already had new growth visiting the scrapes. My thoughts are, the sooner you start, the sooner they will find them and be aware of them and possibly start to use them.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features