Posting Photos

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
darrups

Posting Photos

Postby darrups » Tue May 24, 2011 11:49 pm

How does one post photos?

darrups

Re: Posting Photos

Postby darrups » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 am

I see I have 30 views, but no answer. I have tried to post, but no luck. Again, any suggestions would be great.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 am

darrups,
When you open the "Reply" window and type your reply into the box, you'll see two blue tabs under the box on the left side. One says "Options" and the other is "Upload attachment". Click on "Upload Attachments" and a pop up adds a box that asks for filename. If you click on "Browse" you can navigate around your computer to find the file that you want to attach. When you click on "OPEN" on that file, it's name will show up in the box to the left of the "Browse" box. Click on the orange colored tab that says "add the file" , then click the "Place INLINE" orange tab and you're done. If you want to add a 2nd file, repeat all the above steps for it. Check your files for size before you attempt to post as there is a 256KB limit on each. Resize your pictures to less than the 256 before you attempt to attach.I shoot 10MP pictures with my camera and the pictures are 3648 X 2432 and they are about 3.86 MB each. I open them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and reduce them to 20% of their original size. They are then 730 X 486 and about 238 KB each. I am attaching one photo to this post because I had to go through all the steps as I was typing this to make sure I didn't forget anything
DSCN6478_20.jpg
DSCN6478_20.jpg (238.03 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:03 am

Most forums anchor a tutorial at the top of one of the topics. I haven't looked for one here, but there are a couple of ways to do it. The number one thing you need is an image hosting site. There are three possibilities for a hosting site. The first method covers two of those hosting sites:

First method:
1. The image hosting site can be (as in my case) your own website, or if you want to link to a photo posted somewhere else, consider that the hosting site such as photobucket.com or some similar site. That gives you the Internet address for the photo. For example, one of the gobblers I shot this year is hosted at my site at this address: http://www.everydayhunter.com/Hunting/2011Gobbler1.jpg.
2. Once you've identified the photo you want to post (one that you're put on your site or on photobucket or one that's already online), you need a tag for it. A tag simply begins and ends with the information needed for your computer to locate the photo and display it. You get the tag by clicking on the handy IMG button at the top of the posting area. It will put this image tags into the text area.
3. Copy and paste the address of your photo (http://www.everydayhunter.com/Hunting/2011Gobbler1.jpg) between [img]and[/img] (note that the second [/img] has the forward slash), so that the whole sequence would look like this: [img]address-of-your-photo[/img].
4. The address of your photo (in my case http://www.everydayhunter.com/Hunting/2011Gobbler1.jpg) with the IMG tags predeeding it and following it tells everyone's computer to display this:

Second method:
1. This method does not require a separate image hosting site; it uses the D&DH site as the image host. For that, you need to look below the text area and click on the shaded button that says "Upload attachment". By clicking on that, you get a place to upload a photo from your computer to the D&DH website.
2. Click on the "Browse..." button, which opens a window that lets you search for a photo you have on your own computer.
3. When you find the photo you want to upload from your computer to the D&DH site, click on it and then click on the button that says "Open". The location of the photo on your computer will display in the little box beside the "Browse..." button.
4. Then you simply click on the button that says "ADD THE FILE".
5. Now you have two choices. You can do nothing and there will simply be a clickable text that will let viewers click to see your photo, or you can click on the button that says "PLACE INLINE" and the photo will show up in your posting -- no one has to click anything, like this:
2011Gobbler1.jpg
2011Gobbler1.jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 919 times

Click "PREVIEW" to make sure everything looks the way you want it to look, and then click "SUBMIT" and you're finished. Hope that helps. Now, everyone will note something I did wrong -- I posted a turkey photo on a deer site. Please forgive me -- it was for instructional purposes only!

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 am

Under New Forum FAQ Ben Sobiek has posted How to Post Photos. He's describing the second method I described above, but he uses screen shots to illustrate the method.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

darrups

Postby darrups » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:09 am

Thank You! I will give it a try! Well I tried by following the instructions. I am still unable to load. I get a display that says "image is to large, cannot display." Nuts! I will keep at it! Thanks for your help!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:40 am

darrups wrote:Thank You! I will give it a try! Well I tried by following the instructions. I am still unable to load. I get a display that says "image is to large, cannot display." Nuts! I will keep at it! Thanks for your help!

You need to resize your image. If you don't have an image manipulation program already on your 'puter, go to www.Irfanview.com and download the free image manipulation program, reduce the size of your image, and try it again. The picture I posted above is 900 pixels wide -- that's about as large as you want a photo to be. People get real irritated when the picture is to large it can't be viewed without scrolling back and forth across the page.

Wanderer's photo above is probably even better. It's 730 pixels wide.

Steve

Return to Photo Corner