Looking For an Article

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
LUCKE

Looking For an Article

Postby LUCKE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I read an article atleast a year ago on antler growth in a Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. In the article it suggested that a deer would have the chance of growing a bigger set of antlers if he were to drop his antlers earlier than later. Does anyone recall this article? I ask because I would like to read it again.

Everyday Hunter

Re: Looking For an Article

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm

LUCKE wrote:I read an article atleast a year ago on antler growth in a Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. In the article it suggested that a deer would have the chance of growing a bigger set of antlers if he were to drop his antlers earlier than later. Does anyone recall this article? I ask because I would like to read it again.

Welcome to the D&DH Forums, Lucke. I don't recall that article, and I'd be interested in knowing why (if it's true) a deer can grow a bigger set if he loses the last set earlier.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:49 am

I don't recall the artical, but wish I had read it. To my knowlege, it's not true. The only time a deer is going to lose his antlers earlier than normal, is if he has had a life threatening wound. Being, broken leg, shot by bow or gun and not dying. Some big older bucks lose them early from the fact that they run their bodies down so much to almost exhaustion chaseing does and fighting other bucks while not keeping up the nutrition their body's need during this time period. From the sheds I've found from any of these types of early drops,the following years growth did not change drasticly. The only fact for sure here is that on some bucks, the following years growth is naturally going to be somewhat larger, unless he is an old, old guy and his antler growth could be regressing.

I hope someone finds the article. I would like to know how someone came up with that statement.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:00 pm

One reason deer lose antlers early is stress. If they don't have enough to eat, or if they're sick, or if they're hassled by predators, or if they're too exhausted by the rut, it has been shown that has a negative effect on antler retention. If a buck has a natural propensity to shed antlers early, perhaps the effect of that can be studied, but could that be studied in a wild herd? I doubt it -- too many variables.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Schmidt

Postby Schmidt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Lucke,

Yes, this is possible, but not always attainable. If a buck loses his antlers earlier, it would, in theory, provide him more recovery time and an earlier start. However, it might also indicate more stress, as he lost his antlers earlier in the winter. Despite all that, most bucks, under most conditions, lose their antlers at nearly the same time every year. In fact, some research has shown antler casting might be genetic. Charles Alsheimer has also documented that well-fed deer will shed their antlers within a several day span annually.

Other studies that we have published indicate that malnutrition and winter stress will cause deer to shed their antlers earlier than normal.

I hope this helps shed light on your questions.

My best,
Dan Schmidt

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 am

Hey Lucke, What's your interest in that article? Did you run across something that your trying to analize?

I have sheds from several different bucks from one year to the next that took a large jump in antler size, but from all I can tell it was in their forth year, not from an early drop. One in particular in 2005, left side is 67 1/8 and right is 67 2/8. In 2006 left side is 88 1/8, and right is 82 6/8. Of all the sheds I have found that I can see from one year to the next that a big jump in antler size acured, seemed to be a natural jump in their 4th year.
I don't see an early drop causing a larger antler growth other than normal larger growth from year to year.
Bucks are as individual as we are. They act different, some are fighters some are not. Some are bigger some are not. Some get larger antlers, while some stay the same. I had sheds from a small 8pt, in all of 4yrs. he stayed pretty much the same, even the 5th year when I found him dead, same antler size.
The thing I'd like to get an answer on is the fact that this passed year a larger than normal amount of bucks carried their last antler for most, as much as a week before loosing it. Have never seen it like this in all my years of shed hunting, especially big bucks. Usually when one falls they are so uncomfortable with the weight of the antler on one side they normally will knock it off. Those you can tell, there will be some sort of burr left on the base or pedisel. I have one big buck of 3yrs. that would travel around until the last one would fall off natureally. He was not a fighter either, never had so mush as a chip on any of his sheds.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features