treestand rodents

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
hunterman

treestand rodents

Postby hunterman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Hello, I hope someone can help. almost everytime I go out to my stand some kind of rodent has chewed up my treestand seat and back and left holes in the material and taken some foam.I do not know what I can use on my stand to keep rodents away and something that will not spook or scare the deer away. Has this happen to anyone and what might I try. Thanks

Rubydog

RE: treestand rodents

Postby Rubydog » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Not sure of what can stop them but a fix after the fact is a waterproof seat cover sold, @ Dick's Sporting Goods, for about $10.

It covers the colorful foam and creates a dry seat.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm

The same thing has been happening to one of my ladder stands.  I've just dealt with it, but may need to replace the seat pretty soon here.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Take the seat with you when you leave. When I buy my stands I always buy ones that have a seat you can sit on without a cushion without your butt cheeks falling thru it. I never even install cushions until the cold weather comes when I am trying to keep the cold steel away from my butt. Plus if you take the cushion with you and it rains the night before you hunt, your arse isnt soaked from a wet cushion. I know...another thing to cary into the woods, PITA.  As I tell my son though and most importantly.....most stand manufactures have gone to strap on stands vs the old chain ons.  Check those straps everytime before you climb on.  Critters do chew the straps!  Everyone of my stands has an extra ratchet strap on them and also a cable lock.

elrod

Re: treestand rodents

Postby elrod » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm

A squirrel, rat or something ate almost all the camo cover and lots of the foam off a brand new Summit Openshot last yr. Just had to recover it. Just part of leaving them in the woods that I deal with. Too far back in rugged country for me to take in and out every time I hunt.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Funny that you mention this topic, I get racoons that don't clean up after themselves in my big stands with roofs, squirrels like the seats of the other stands...I usually just replace mine, although I have been buying the metal 17ft ladder stands that cone with a cushion that is light and fits right in my back pack...I guess its the only way to go...ps the worst is the early archery hunts when the bees make a nest on your stand!

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 am

bmstaaf,
I know that feeling well. I climbed up in one of our Big Game stands one morning. The seat cushion was dangling from one strap. When I went to pull it up to sit on it, it was buzzing and popping like microwave popcorn. It had a whole slew of hornets moved in there. I never knew how fast I could descend a ladder until that day.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 am

I have wooden platform stands that the squirrels love to chew on. A few years ago I added lots of cayenne pepper to the solid stain which I painted onto all of the edges. Seems to have worked. I climbed into a stand a few years ago and a raccoon was sitting in it...not fun, but we both got out of each other's way without anyone getting hurt. I always shake the stand a lttle before I climb the ladder now.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to Tree Stands