New string and cables needed

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
HoosierHawkeye

New string and cables needed

Postby HoosierHawkeye » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Been away from this forum for awhile cuz I never bothered to log in after they changed it, I got into bowhunting a little over a year ago when I purchased a new Hoyt powerhawk. After practicing daily for a year and one unfortunate fall of the back of my truck while going down a gravel road my bow string is in pretty rough shape. My local bow shop that I go to is revered as the best in the area but they also tend to charge on the high end, they gave me a quote of just under $300 to replace my string and cables and get the bow back in tune. Does anyone on here have any advice where I could go to get my bow fixed up for less than this, I'm getting married in September and I am in the process of moving so funds are a little short. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!
Aim small, miss small.

Ohio farms

Re: New string and cables needed

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm

$300 seems way high to me too. For starters, I'd try some place else before I would advise trying it yourself. I'm sure you will get some good advice from this forum. Lots of smart do-it-yourselfers here. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Visit the Vapor trails website

http://vaportrailarchery.com/

If you call to order and tell them about your bow, they will look up the specs and send you what you need.
I ordered a set (2 cables and the string) last year and I really like it. My strings were about 10 years old and I needed some badly. It added some speed to my arrow for sure.
I paid about $100 for the strings (they mailed them to me) and then I paid Gander Mountain's archery department about $20 to install them, add a new peep and D loop for my release.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:55 pm

I wouldnt take it to that place...EVER! 300 bucks for that is a rip off. I paid 80 bucks for new strings, and Im sure I could have received cables cheaper. For that price, you could pretty much buy a decent used bow.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Archery and Bowhunting