Land Access Cited as Top Problem

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Admin

Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby Admin » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 am

Restricted access to hunting lands in the past three seasons, especially on private property, has reduced opportunities to hunt, according to a recent survey.

In the survey of about 2,000 hunters conducted in April 2008, just over one-third (34%) of hunters reported that restricted access to hunting lands reduced their hunting time over the past three seasons. Private hunting lands were more likely than public lands to have had restrictions placed on them, said 80% of the surveyed hunters.

Perhaps offering a glimmer of hope to those who love to hunt, exactly half (50%) of surveyed hunters said that their hunting opportunities had been "reduced" due to land restrictions, rather than eliminated entirely. Only about 7% of hunters reported that previously available hunting lands had been completely closed to them.

"Restricted land access continues to be a major issue affecting hunters," commented Rob Southwick, designer of the survey.

Of the hunters who said their access to hunting lands had been restricted, more than half (about 58%) said that previously available land had been sold to a new owner who restricted hunting access, or that the landowner had given, leased, or sold hunting rights to others, making the land less available--or unavailable--to the survey respondents. More specifically, of those who said that previously available lands had seen new restrictions, about 31% reported that a new landowner had restricted their access for reasons other than providing hunting access to others, while about 28% said that hunting access had been granted to others, reducing or eliminating their own opportunities to hunt the land.

Source: Rob Southwick and HunterSurvey.com.

Robert Rowland

RE: Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri May 09, 2008 3:54 pm

I lost one hunting ground when the owner died and her two sons took over. Another area that my brother-in-laws family had leased for many years (for farming) was sold. They had first dibs, but the price was out of range and a hunting club bought it.
I have access to good private hunting ground now, but part of it has been placed off limits because some guy trades hay baleing for hunting rights.
I've got a feeling that I'll end up paying, or finding another ground to hunt.

chris

Postby chris » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 pm

there is plenty of state and county land to hunt.And its just as good or if not better than private land.A person just has to commit going the extra distance than everyone else is going in to hunt it.

[/align]

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Tue May 13, 2008 5:32 am

Agree, Chris.  Also, he or she has to commit to more scouting and the occasional mid-week hunt to beat the crowd.  Saturdays can be bad on public land but a Wednesday can be heavenly.

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue May 13, 2008 2:54 pm

I can only speak for what I personally have been through but I have a idea what part of the reason might be. A few years back I asked my neighbor which is a farmer if I could hunt his property. His answer well all you guys (hunters) do anyways without asking. I had to correct him and say that Im not all those other hunters that dont ask for permission. He granted me access to his land and I always ask him if he needs help baling hay but every year its the same answer , no thanks we got it.

I think this type of philosophy is rampant in areas. Land owners are getting fed up. I myself hunt a 50 acre plot that is in our family. Each year its the samething hunters hunting on your posted land. Now if they would only have the common courtesy of asking my father the landowner he would be happy to let them hunt it in the first place. But they rather get kicked off year after year and have their treestands removed. So its a little to late to make ammends.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:51 am

I`ve been saying for years that lack of access to land to hunt is easily the biggest problem facing hunters today.
Leasing is causing lot`s of private land that might have been available to the average guy to be out of play. And I strongly disagree with what other`s here have said about public land hunting. My personal experience has been that hunting public land is highly unsafe, and is NOT a quality hunt in general. From being "walked on" all day, to having guys set up within easy sight of each other, to the casual hikers, (read "casual hikers" to mean animal rights freaks pretending to NOT be disrupting your hunt), to the safety factors, and now, with gas costs what they are, even the distance needed to travel to most public land is an issue.

Between the loss of habitat and hunting land to both commercial and residential development, and the poor quality of hunts on public land, hunters everywhere had better be concerned with doing something to make more quality land accessible.

Konk

Postby Konk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 am

ORIGINAL: bad faulkner

Agree, Chris.  Also, he or she has to commit to more scouting and the occasional mid-week hunt to beat the crowd.  Saturdays can be bad on public land but a Wednesday can be heavenly.

That's exactly what I used to do until last year when my employer put and end to that practice. I used to be able to work an extra hour a couple nights a week and then take of early on Wednesday, now because of a few people our hours are from 7:00 - 4:30 no and, ifs, or buts about it.

I also lost a lease last year because the land owners son wanted to start deer hunting. The crappy thing about it was I was told 3 weeks before the start of the Wisconsin 9 day gun season. [:@] I haven't been able to find another lease, so it's off to public land.
Member;
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Sticks N' Limbs Camo Prostaff
Carson-Optics Prostaff
www.bowhuntingstore.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:52 am

OK....I hear this all the time and ....while seriously biting my tongue ...I'll say yes I don't know ..how old any of you are...or how long you've been hunting...or if you come from hunting ppl...but did you not have ANY thought to the future years ago when... lets say driving down the road and the open fields you use to see were turning into housing developements and shopping malls? Really no one to blame but YOU!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:23 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

OK....I hear this all the time and ....while seriously biting my tongue ...I'll say yes I don't know ..how old any of you are...or how long you've been hunting...or if you come from hunting ppl...but did you not have ANY thought to the future years ago when... lets say driving down the road and the open fields you use to see were turning into housing developements and shopping malls? Really no one to blame but YOU!

msbadger, I`m not following you, and I want to understand what you`re saying. What could we do to keep development from eating up hunting areas?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:28 am

To buy land....We raised two kids and god help us still helping...and when we saw land being gobbled up for housing and malls ect..ect...we scrimpt and saved and I managed 3part time jobs and two small kids so we could aford to buy land to preserve hunting and rec. for us and our future family...grand kids ect....It's like ppl are saying ...how dare they lease or decide to hunt their own property...how dare they post and protect what ppl worked hard for...Lord help me if I ever have to hear "we hunted that land for years ...who the hell do they think they are?"...I'll tell ya ...the ones that got off their a$$es and worked for it ...thats who!

Next

Return to Breaking News