Are stabilizers really needed?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
relentless_hunter_12

Are stabilizers really needed?

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Maybe it is just me, but I look at the little stabilizer on my bow and think, "Do I really need this? I see plenty of guys shoot without them and they shoot just as well as the guys who have stabilizers, so what gives?" Are they really that much better for balance, or do the reduce sound? So I guess I'm just wondering what other people think about this? I'd love to get some opinions on this one, thanks!
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

bmstaaf

Re: Are stabilizers really needed?

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:45 pm

I take the stabilizer off all of my new bows, I have never shot with one and don't plan on putting one on...I shoot 3d competition and darts, do fine without it...

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm

I put a Sims X coil (4.5") on my bow and have found it greatly reduced noise. I tested using my cell phone to record at the range. I don't see much effect if any on accuracy. I selected this one after testing four at my local pro shop. There was one, I don't remember the name, but it did make the bow feel more stable. However, it was 6" long.. too long for me since I'm only in it to hunt. Hope this helps.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I agree with the last post. It reduces sound and vibration on my bow. I haven't seen an accuracy change with or without.
Here's a good test. Grab your bow loosly by the grip and hit the top of the riser with the palm of your other hand. See how much vibration you feel in your grip.

Do the same thing again with the stabalizer off (or on, depending on the first test above). you're likely to notice a huge difference when the stabilizer is on. I certainly did.

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 am

Stabilizers are only partially about vibration. You need proper weighting to be accurate. Try holding the bow loosely in your hand, it should tip towards your target if not i would suggest a stabilizer to properly balance out your bow.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting