Do you think there can be a sane discussion on scent control

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Wanderer

Re: Do you think there can be a sane discussion on scent con

Postby Wanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 am

CutnRun,
Add to that list of "only use it for hunting" items a different wristwatch. My everyday watch has a leather band that even I can smell after a heavy perspiration day. I have a hunting only watch with a fabric band that I can wash out frequently.

Maxie Bordeaux

Postby Maxie Bordeaux » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:30 am

I've already weighed in on this once, but if you'll allow me I would like to go one step further. My Nephew is twenty one years old and lives by himself, and doesn't have Mom to wash his cloths. So when he takes out to his deer stand he grabs his hunting cloths that have been lying intermingled with all of his dirty work cloths puts them on, oh and by the way does not take a shower. This kid is a deer slayer and has two trophy's hanging on his wall. I personally will continue to wash my cloths in the latest and greatest and spray my Muck's down, and my cloths before I go into the woods because for me it gives me confidence. But, I say and will always contend that it is all about how you use the wind in your favor not sent control products.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Maxie, in the early years of recurves only, I never washed my outer camo clothing thru the whole season, (unless I got some blood on them), and did very well hunting. It seemed to me when being out in the woods and climbing trees etc. as much as I did, my clothes would take on a sort of woodsy smell. A smell that I remember one of my Uncles had on his clothes. He was always out in the woods. He hunted just about everything through the seasons, rabbits, partridge, pheasants, deer, ducks, crows and mink. Then trapped all of the fur bearers, and summer trapping for fox for bounty money. Ocasionally I can still pick up the same scent on my gloves that I use climbing trees and that never get washed. I can't explain it but is what I concider to be a natural woodsy smell.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:39 pm

In discussing about scent can we start to agree on what doesn't work ?

Does every one agree that spraying an antimicrobial spray on your clothes will not do anything to help in controling scent ?

If you buy a jacket with a sivler antimicrobial and you put over other clothes it won't work in scent reduction program.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

bmorris wrote:Does every one agree that spraying an antimicrobial spray on your clothes will not do anything to help in controling scent ?

I would not necessarily agree. I'd say spraying antimicrobial spray on clothing is harmless at worst, and possibly helpful.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

I think that it is pretty clear that an antimicrobial kills bacteria not odor. In order for it to work it much touch the bacteria. Spraying it on your clothing is an advertising gimmick, I was in Mills Fleet farm and saw jackets with silver and they were advertising it would kill bacteria but there is no way for it to touch the bactreia which forms on your body and then gives off odor unless you
had no other clothes on but a pants and jacket . Simple science from the medical and military communties.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Clothing can hold bacteria. That's locker room science.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 pm

There are many things to consider when trying to be scent free. One being, your boots. Consider this, you drive to and from work and what ever. If you get any kind of grease or oils on your vehicle rugs or floor mats, and then you jump in the truck with your hunting boots that you only wear for hunting, how much do you think gets picked up on the soles of your hunting boots? If you are a mechanic by trade, then I'm guessing a lot. Or how much scent comes off your vehicle seats and on to your camo?
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:48 pm

I didn't read the entire thread, but to answer the subject. i'd say the only way we could have a sane discussion about scent control is if we all agreed to disagree.

Too many times we base our own opinions/truths on our experiences and assumptions. If someone has had a different experience (or assumption) then they may disagree. Does that make them wrong? I hope not.

I've had plenty of deer downwind and not smell me, and i've had plenty of deer up wind and they did smell me (or at least sense something was wrong). Who knows what actually happened.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I was hoping that I would be able to kind of allow us to have a wider discussion of how to deal with scent, Maybe this just isn't the way to do it. It has been interesting to see the helpful suggestions. I have studied along with a few others how to deal with scent using many of the new nano technology break throughts that actually can reduce the amount of scent given off. You can take this with a grain of salt if you want but we were able to actually fool the nose of a bloodhound. Building off this we are developing a way for individuals to put to work their own proven way of controling scent and provide some additional steps.
One of the most critical areas that we identified was that the release of air/scent from what we are wearing has to be drastically reduced.
Another area is to final understand and agree that the use of carbon has been a failure.After 20-30 studies on its effectiveness one has to draw the conclusion that was reached by Dr, Amos Turk the expert from Scentlok that carbon used this way is ineffective in stoping human odor from escaping into the air. Once we are able to admit this then some new ways will open up.
One of the people I have been working with was involved in 1997 with Freudenberg that supplies carbon to Scent Blocker and he worked out with them a way to try and provide a different way to place carbon on fabric. That was finally discarded because the end result was that it was unable to really reduce human odor. They used the same system in 1997 that I have been told by those who worked at Freudenberg is being used By Scent Blocker that is called Cold Fusion ". Nothing new just a new way to advertise.

I would be glad to try and answer any questions either publically or through a PM. After all this research and testing I think I can provide some assistence and direction in your scent reduction program.

Thanks for all the responces

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News