COLD FEET!!

Relentless

RE: COLD FEET!!

Postby Relentless » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 am

Here is what works for me....I open the toe warmers at the truck before I head to the stand.  However, I do not put them on my feet until I get to the tree when I am done walking.  Putting them in at the truck never worked because my feet would always sweat on the way to the stand.  This is the best I have come up with.  Wouldn't mind trying the arctic shield boots but, this works and it is cheaper.  Not to mention that at least this way I don't have to carry extra "boots" to the tree.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 pm

First I threw my Rocky Thinsulate boots in the garbage. I've been told that Gortex is much better, I don't know, never had that much money to spend. I have issues with Rocky boots saying they are waterproof, they are water resistant at best, and I nearly lost some toes because of it. Any boot that requires the owner to spray with silicone is not WATERPROOF! Not that Rocky is the only Chinese made boot that advertised falsely, but they are the ones that froze my toes.

With that said, it's like many have said, dry feet are happy feet. Socks are the key. Thin layer of a great wicking sock first. I like Cabelas Ingenious socks, thin, medium and heavy, a sock or combination that's good for all weather. Just like boots and shoes, buy the socks a size bigger too. Especially the outer sock if you wear more than 1 pair. Too tight of socks is as bad as too tight of boots.

I replaced my Rockies with Muck Woody Elite boots. Still made in China, but an all rubber, 100% waterproof and breathable. I've hunted from 70 degrees to lower teens so far and with the right socks they've always been warm and dry inside. Never thought a rubber/neoprene boot could do that, I've been very happy with them so far. I don't expect they'll work for much colder, but my friend has those over the boot bootie things and he swears by them. That might just be the ticket. Otherwise it's my old Sorels, good to 100 below and about 5 lbs each. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

I can only add a little bit here. I for one have to eliminate my biggest source of sweat "CAFFEINE" I've found that eliminating this one source has helped tremendously. I know it may not effect others but just one cup of java in the morning and I start sweating immediatly. If your using any caffeinated products you could try this and see if it helps any.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I have the same problem - feet always sweat- and I always get cold feet. I have tried a variety of things most of which are mentioned here. I have come to the conclusion I will always endure this problem. I wear either 800 or 1200 gram knee high Lacrosse boots . The option of wearing anything else doesnt exist. Getting to my stand or getting to the deer I shoot will always find me in a swamp or creek. knee high rubbers boots are a must, so I suffer. They do not breathe.

DanburyBowhunter

Re: COLD FEET!!

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 pm

I have found Utlimax socks from Cabelas to work as adverstised. Even when my feet sweat they stay dry. Arctic shields work great and I throw in a hand warmer if it is really cold. One note, however, if you use a climber, you may want to put the Arctic shields on before you climb the tree! The Arctic shields are also good for stalking if there is snow/ice on the ground and you want to keep quiet.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm

A lot of good advice...looks like my original posts got lost in the transition.so i will re-cap on what worked for me....i still have my pair of ''rocky'' boots 1000 gram thinsulate...the problem was too fold or 3 fold actually...i have a problem of lacing the boots like im ready for combat..too tight .....2nd problem was i ws wearing wool socks [which are good] but they were taking up too much room in the boots so after a while my feet would get cold......3rd was i wasnt using a good wicking layer next to the skin...for me personaly polypropelene 100% thin socks are the ticket...this also makes up my cold weather gear base layer bottoms and tops...

I still lace up my boots like normal and wear only the paper thin polypropelene layer socks ...but once im in my stand i adjust my safety harness so i can reach my boots ..i untie the boots and loosen em up allowing warm air to circulate,while tying the laces thru the pull tab on the back of the boots...out of the way..

If its extremely cold i pull out one package of the ''toastie toes'' foot warmers...they are small and thin...instead of using like they recommend...i wiggle a boot off and after its warmed up enough place the sticky side to the inside very front portion of my boot,,,right ABOVE the toes....no joke its like mini-heaters..and i have never had a problem since....if you put them in and than walk to your stand they sometimes get tooo hot!!! and your feet will be on fire and sweating...this is why i only put im in after i have been on stand for a little while...usually after the first 20minutes on stand....the poly-socks wick away any moisture...this is what works for me and the military poly base layer is a god send...it sucks the moisture right off- i feel no -need to change the regimin at this time...Thanks for all the responses-JON~

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Putting too much sock in a boot and making it tight will surely make for cold feet. I find it hard to believe your feet get cold with1000gr of insul. I have several pairs of boots. One is 1000gr of insul. but the ones I use on a regular basis has 200 and another with 600gr.and I have no problem with cold feet. I too, wear only one thin sock. I think that is the "key" here, one sock and nothing tight. These boots with thinsulate are a God sent item. I remember when the sorel boots with the liners and heavy wool socks were the answer to cold weather hunting. But my feet still got cold. I can still remember trying to scrunch my toes and move them around in my boots, trying to get some blood circulating to warm my feet while on stand. Those were some miserable times during cold weather, but try as we did. With these new boots, you guys don't know how lucky you are to have them. I sure am glad they came along.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 am

Had some Thinsulate gear for years that worked a treat. Now just got these boots for winter. I do not have cold feet!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=552716

charlie 01

Re: RE: COLD FEET!!

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:22 pm

boxcallkid wrote:I can only add a little bit here. I for one have to eliminate my biggest source of sweat "CAFFEINE" I've found that eliminating this one source has helped tremendously. I know it may not effect others but just one cup of java in the morning and I start sweating immediatly. If your using any caffeinated products you could try this and see if it helps any.

My feet don't sweat and I'm wondering if it's because I drink tea and honey. Gave up on coffee a long time ago.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:02 am

I will add one thing to the discussion, the hand warmer or toe warmer products will not work in rubber boots. What makes them heat up is high speed rust. they are made from iron filings, moisture, and a catalist. the only thing they need is air to start the process. Most people do not know you can seal them in a baggie, suck out the air and shut them off. and they can be reactivated to finish the process later. I will take used ones that have a couple of hours use left, and toss them into my sleeping bag to preheat it. You can also use an old sleeping bag on a stand to cover boots, legs and all, and if you bag your boots with grocery bags, the sleeping bag stays much cleaner and dryer.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing