Old Hunter, New Bow Hunter

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Jimbo

Old Hunter, New Bow Hunter

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey guys,

Long time hunter. Have harvested deer and small game with my recurve. Have never used a release or a peep--just instinctive. Most of the past 20 years I've used guns to shoot deer, game birds, small game. Just moved to a great whitetail area, a place where I can hunt every day close to home. I want to get back into bowhunting in a big way. Here is my question: If you were starting out fresh, from strictly an equipment standpoint, and you had between $1-2,000 to spend on all bowhunting equipment, what would you buy? Bow brand? Any other tips? Also, best retailers close to Madison, Wisconsin?

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

jonny5buck

Re: Old Hunter, New Bow Hunter

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:04 pm

@Jimbo` you know your going to get 100 different responses right??? I honestly think your going to have to go to a reputable shop -wether its a bass pro..gander mountain or local pro archery shop..talk to them and ask to shoot a few different types or brands of bows,,,dont get stuck on brand names at all,,almost everyone makes quality bows now!....dont buy anything,and dont get bamboozled into buying amore expensive bow for the name unless its actually what you want.

I would recommend doing this at least 2 different stores ..shooting as many bows as you can and than come to your own conclusion after a few days....

I learned shooting a recurve also ,but when i was about 12yrs old..i shot plenty of rabbits ...and lost my interest...at 14 or 15 after a safety course and much needed lecture about gun safety from my dad....... started shooting shotgun--i loved it ...

In my early twenties i picked up a a golden eagle split limb compound bow that i still use...it was all new to me ...and so was the frustration of yrs of gun hunting that made me a terrible ''flincher'' or someone who punched the shot with the release..it took a while to correct,and i also struggled with the peep...for a few yrs i struggled with it and aquired poor consitency...too this day like recurve hunting ...i prefer no peep at all..i use a kisser button in the corner of the mouth and the edge of my nostril as an anchor point...it's what feels right and the accuracy i am proud of when i hit a deer....everyone is different in their release and anchor points...i couldnt get a natural feel with the peep sight..i tried every kind and didnt like it...since you said your a recurve guy if that aspect gives you trouble down the road try my technique...im the only one i know of that shoots a compound with a release and no peep but it works for me....let the pro shop hook u up and have someone watch your form ...it will take a while....be patient...and welcome back to the bow brother!-~JON~

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

I just realized after posting that you did NOT say you were going from recurve to compound...if your going with recurve Woods Walker ,and a few others may give you some sound advice on what equipmnt and arrows they use-either way good luck!- :D

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 am

To clarify, yes indeed I am going into a compound.

I used to shoot a compound in the late 80s and have shot my recurves and long bows my whole life.

Thanks for the response--I do plan on visiting a lot of shops and shooting lots of bows.

Jimbo

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:59 am

I would reccomend shooting Carbon Arrows,be sure to get ones that are rated for the amount of draw weight You plan on shooting.Usually the carbon arrows are rated 50/60 60/70 and so on,You don't want to set your Bow for 70 lb draw weight and shoot an arrow with a lighter spline it could splinter or break when shooting it.Another thing to watch out for is when You practice shooting be sure the field points are the same weight as the broadheads you'll be using.There are so many different Compound Bow out there on the Market that as mentioned the best thing to do is shoot as many as possible to see what fits You the best and your most comfortable with.I recently bought the new D & DH Buyers Guide and they had a lot of nice new Bows listed and rated in there so thats a good place to start to see what options they each have,how fast they shoot and the over-all length of them...if Your hunting inside a Blind a Bow that is shorter has its advantages.
If I'm not Hunting for Deer...I'm Hunting for Pontiacs!

greatbowhunting

Postby greatbowhunting » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Glad to see you're getting back to bow hunting. Everyone has their preference I've always used a PSE, but I'm now disabled and haven't hunted with my girl since 1999. The missus bought me a TenPoint crossbow for Christmas (they are legal now in NJ) I've shot it a few times; can't wait to get back in the field. As for equipment just remember deer have a powerful sense of scent. Use a good cover scent and wash you camo clothes in a scent free detergent; preferably one made for hunting. Get your favorite call back out and go sit in the woods where you want to hunt. Get a feel for it again. Remember too bow hunting is a little more challenging. You need to be aware of your scent and since the game will be closer and more on your level you need to be alert to sounds. Down the road if you need anything for your hunt, check out our website www.greatbowhunting.com. We do ship to Wisconsin. Anything we can do for you just let us know. We would love to see your first bow kill; we would love to post it on our site. Be safe and have a good hunt. Bill & Janet

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Picking up my new set up tonight at Pappas Trading Post.
Decided on the new Matthews Z7 Extreme. Can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting.
Thanks for all the advice.

Jimbo

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Jimbo wrote:Picking up my new set up tonight at Pappas Trading Post.
Decided on the new Matthews Z7 Extreme. Can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting.
Thanks for all the advice.

Jimbo

I hope you will keep us posted on how you like the new set up or if there are any things you might do different.

And please keep us posted on your hunting successes!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Return to Archery and Bowhunting