Pennsylvania doe season

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
danesdad

Pennsylvania doe season

Postby danesdad » Tue May 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Does anyone think that starting the doe season a week later in certain WMUs is an improvement to the antlerless deer management in PA?  I tend to believe that doe harvest is more affected by the number of antlerless tags issued, than by length of season and that more bucks will be shot in the affected WMUs because of the increased pressure by doe hunters later in the season.

dtrain56

RE: Pennsylvania doe season

Postby dtrain56 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 am

it will effect the deer kill by increasing the number of days hunters are in the field, before they started the congruint seasons for doe and buck the seasons were spit as you well know. You will get a larger turn out for the saturday hunt. right now after opening day hunters disapear and saturday is very slow

the congruient season has really hurt the local merchants, seperating the seasons will create more revenue for local merchants and allow for more doe to be harvested...great idea!!!! not really but if this is to be a reality they need to reduce the number of doe tags dramatically as the percentage of filled tags will increase.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:30 am

i think having the seasons together works perfect. i think PA needs to keep the seasons together. people were complaining about not seeing as many deer, well there are less. you just have to hunt a little harder. i dont think starting the doe season a week later will be good at all.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri May 16, 2008 12:44 pm

I also prefer the seasons as they are.  I get maximum chance to score on a given day-an important consideration for those with limited time to hunt.  I think the delayed start to doe season in some units was more an attempt to curry favor with legislators, to get that license fee increase.  I doubt it has much biological value.  I will note that the seperate seasons were probably better for local merchants.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:59 pm

I hunt in 2D so im in one of the 4 units that is actually going along with this. I'm agreeing with all of you on this. It doesn't really make sense to me. Cut the antlerless season basically in half, but still sell the same amount of tags as last year? Danesdad i agree. If they were really serious about what they are "claiming" to be doing, they wouldn't change the length of season, they would reduce the number of tags sold. But why would they do that? Can't make their money if they did that. That first saturday is going to be rediculous. I may not even go huntin that day. Theres gonna be led flyin everywhere. 

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Plus, if you shorten the doe season, you allow for things like the weather to mess up the total harvest.  They should have kept the season the same, but reduced the number of tags, if they wanted to reduce the harvest.

Return to Regulatory issues