shotgun scopes

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
reKor11

shotgun scopes

Postby reKor11 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:03 pm

my current set up is a mossberg 500 20 gauge with hornady sst slugs and a bushnell holosight.  the holosight is great but for in close but doesnt allow me to utilize the great accuracy of the sst rounds at long range.  Anyone have any experience with a scope in the $150-200 range that performs well on 20's (or 12's).  There are so many options availible it it difficult to narrow down ones choices.

mag30079

RE: shotgun scopes

Postby mag30079 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:56 am

I set up my 12 gage 5 years ago with a slug barrel and a $150 Simmons shot gun scope. I regreat buying a cheap scope. I kick my self for not buying the Nikon slug scope. Its $250 but much better quality. After 5 years I am still not dialed in to where I wan't it.
The only thing I like about the Simmons is the red light up cross hairs.
I know I shouldn't blame the scope maybe its me or the gun.
Those Hornady sst are sweet

Good luck

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:22 am

found a bushnell sportsman for my daughters moss 500 20 on ebay for like $60 if i remember. brand new in the package. scope performs great. 4.5x9x32.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Leupold.

Don`t remember what it cost, but I have a Leupold 2x7 shotgun scope on my 11-87. Sweet.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:22 am

I shoot a Leupold also on my Browing A-Bolt slug gun.

Vari-X III, 1.5 X 5.  Not cheap initially, but it's set on different guns now for 15 years, and it's never failed in any conditions.

Shotgun scopes take a beating. 400 to 600 grain projectiles are some bad boys!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 am

i shoot a moss 500 12 and i put a bushnell red dot on it .i find its great for quick target pick up.it takes some getting used to if your used to cross hairs
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:46 pm

I really like the Nikon Omega for muzzleloaders and the Nikon Slughunter or the Bushnell Trophy for shotguns. (Bushnell only runs about $125) My rifles wear Leupold. I've had good experiences with all of these.

waterwolves

Postby waterwolves » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:44 pm

I'd go with a nikon slughunter, I have one on my daughters 500

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:20 am

Leupold VX1 shotgun scope $200. Not the cheapest on the market, but I beleive, one should buy the best equipment they can afford! It comes with a lifetime guaratee, and its made in the USA!!!

wack

Postby wack » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 am

I put A Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 with a firefly ret. on my Mossberg 835 slug gun. and love it. I'd much rather have a great scope on a cheap gun than a cheap scope on a great gun. Buy the best scope you can afford. 3-9 power is IMO a great choice for shot guns and I also like them on my .22's. If I'm in an area that I expect close range shooting, I carry my gun with scope on 3. If it's a little more open, I'll dial up to 4-6. If I see a shot over 75 yards, I should have plenty of time to dial up to 9 if needed and 9x will get you out to the max 20 ga range rather nicely. 3x will give you a faster eye and bigger field of view. I took the scopes I liked and went outside in the dark to see what scope I could see the best through. The 40mm Bushnell Elitescope picked up as much or more light than some of the 55mm scopes. I'd never again get a scope that depends on batteries. I've had a bunch of them and every one has let me down. I forget to turn off or they get too cold or don't have time to turn it on....The Fire Fly retical is awsome. Just before dark shine a flashlight into the scope, (even flicking your Bic will get a little glow going) and the retical glows. I handed my gun to a friend at the public hunting parking lot in the dark, told him to check it out. Next thing I know my gun is being passed around the parking lot to complete strangers oooing and ahhhhing over the scope. Look through mine, then compare it through there own. I have yet to have someone show me a better scope for less money. I paid about $200 1 year ago. I'd save some cash, go to the gun shop, and look through every scope in your price range outside in the dark. You don't know if they will allow you to unless you ask. A good gunshop will bend over backwards to sell you a good scope, doesn't mean you have to buy at gun shop prices....first find the scope you like, then shop for the best price on that scope. Keep in mind though, the gunsmith has to eat too, being able to see what your getting before you bolt it to your gun is worth something. It's probably better than trading guns with strangers at a public hunting parking lot. lol
 My thing right now is trying to find scope covers that are worth the money and effort. I've tried a bunch of different flip up scope covers and they've all been a waist of money. They seem to work good until you get them outside in the cold weather, then they wont stay closed. Useless when you need them, a pain when you don't need them. Does anyone make a see through, flip up, set of scope covers that are worthy in bad weather?  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Return to Guns and Ammo