different opinions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Hunt4life

RE: different opinions

Postby Hunt4life » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 pm

I think ethics are more about how the comon folk percieve hunting , rather than being tradtion among hunters.

You have got to be kidding me, right?
Political Bully�

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:59 am

well said passin through
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:41 pm

passin through... you said it much better than I could... thanks

kellory

Re: different opinions

Postby kellory » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Alright guys, I got to weigh in on this, sorry, but I do. I was a bow hunter, Now I use a crossbow where legal. I had two and sold one, because it was a recurve, and the compound would give me a slightly better range.I have a barnett 150lb compound with an effective range of 40 yards. Not 150yd! You might shoot a barn at 100yards, but that would be chancy, and I have never learned how to clean one. I went to a crossbow after a doe jumped the string and intercepted my arrow with her head! The arrow failed to penetrate and I spent the next 5 hours and about 5 miles, trying to put down a wound deer, that I had failed to kill cleanly. It finally crossed on to land where I could not go, (no permission allowed/private) and that was a terrible feeling, I choose not to repeat. The power of penetration is much greater with a crossbow, and it is easier to hold at draw, but it is slower to reload, and makes more noise. It is much better at knockdown/ and blood trail, but range is maybe 50 percent better than with a bow. NOT %400. It is more like changing to a heavier caliber, than a different kind of weapon. It doesn't make you a better hunter, it makes you a better killer. A head shot IS a kill shot with a crossbow. And yes, I have been teased for being a deer assassin.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Tempers have flared on this thread, but I have particularly liked this one. SHAMAN. I like the way you write. well done. If you like the history references, This one relates to this thread.....why is flipping the bird an archer's gesture, and what does it mean? Any takers?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 am

The digitus impudicus was/is a means to avert the evil eye. This is probably a gesture that predates us as a species, but earliest recorded mention of it was the Greeks and Romans. It still has this meaning in parts of the world. I had a buddy who used to winter in Matahuala, Mexico. He was a big hulking fellow who just looked mean and dark. For a while there everyone, especially the women were flipping him off, and they would do anything to keep from making eye contact. He mentioned this strange behavior to his waiter one day and the waiter explained that a rumor was circulating that he was a brujo and a very evil man and that they were flipping him off to keep from getting the Evil Eye. John later found that this was a benefit. Nobody robbed him and nobody tried to trick him, no children would beg from him and he always got a straight deal from the local street vendors, so he kept the whole front up.

If you think of it, that's kind of what we use it for. If somebody looks at us in a disapproving manner, we retort with flipping the bird. It tells the other guy that his disapproval means less than nothing to us-- it removes the power of the bad look.

I've heard the whole "Pluck Yew!" story, but it is a just a clever feghoot that is fairly recent in origin-- probably WWII. Here is a version from the Urban Dictionary:

The 100 Years War (which actually lasted 116 years) was a bloody war fought between the British and the French. This was the first war in which long range artillery was used, and the first deadly long range weapon to be invented was the longbow, which was invented by the British. The longbow had an effective accurate range of about 300 feet.
The longbowmen were not the most battle worthy men, as they were usually trained to shoot an arrow long distances, and not to fight with close range weapons. The longbow was used in an almost machine gun like fashion. The archer would stick all of his arrows in the ground in order to get to them quickly. He would grab an arrow and quickly shoot at the approaching army, then quickly reload and fire again. He would use his index and ring finger to draw and fire the bow. This was known as “plucking”, as it resembled plucking a stringed instrument.
The French hated the longbow. Whenever a longbowman was captured, the French would cut of their index and ring fingers, so they couldn’t fire their weapons, and hence be useless to the war.
The captured English prisoners returned with nothing left but their middle fingers, and in a short period of time learned to use their middle finger to draw their longbows, and “pluck” once again.
Before one battle, the French, knowing they had their opponent greatly outnumbered (around six to one), had a grand party the night before the battle was to begin. Realizing this, the English attacked early the next morning, surprising the French, and destroying their advantage. As the English realized their victory, they began their victory celebrations while still waging a victorious battle.
One of the most notable celebrations was the dancing and cheering done by the mutilated longbowmen. They would dance and skip around the dead and wounded Frenchmen, showing them their only remaining useful finger (their middle finger), and yelling (in a British accent), “Look! I still have me middle fingah! I can still pluck you!!! I can still pluck you!!!”
This phrase was later modified to something else we say when we give someone the finger…
So the next time someone gives you the finger and says what they normally say, correct them by saying, “Actually, the correct term is pluck you!”, and see what kind of results you get!
It is also because of the pheasant or goose feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "Giving the Bird."
“Look! I still have me middle fingah! I can still pluck you!!! I can still pluck you!!!”
Giving the Bird

The version of this "Pluck Yew " story that might hold some historical water is when it describes the "V for Victory" sign Churchill was fond of giving in WWII

Actually he gave the gesture both ways, and it was the allied propagandists that spun it into various yarns like "V for Victory" and "Pluck Yew" .Fact of the matter is that the two finger salute has meant "Up yours! " in the British Isles since dirt was an impulse item. It's done frontwards, backwards, straight up, straight out, and thrown like curve ball with a twist at the end in order to connote various levels of "Up-yourness." . I saw an Irish Art film not to long ago that had a drunk doing a double curve ball variation, throwing it at the back of guy walking away. You'd have thunk he was Gandalf, the Wizard for all the gyrations he was putting into it. The two fingers twisted and curved around each other. This guy was really into it. I guess he meant "Up Yours, and your Wife's --Supersized with fries and shake with an apple turnover and keep the change for the Ronald MacDonald House."
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:23 am

Shaman, the story I know is a bit different than what you found. It was the french and the British, and the right war, and the English and Welsh longbows were the deadliest weapons on the planet at the time. The french used crossbows because anyone could fire it, and troops could be taught how to use it quickly. The longbows though required years of training, and much more arm strength. Longbows had a much greater range than crossbows! and were much faster to use with deadly effect. Bowmen could rain death from above that was unanswerable. The common custom was to exchange prisoners between armies, because no army was as large as today, and men on both sides were too few. So prisoners were exchanged rank for rank. Except bowmen, they were too deadly. Bowmen were either killed outright, or had the middle finger of his string hand removed so he could never again pull a bow. They could still be exchanged for a french soldier, and they could still fight, but never again with a bow. To be a bowmen was what these men knew, it was what they were, they did not have the skill with a blade they would need to survive, so bowmen would try to fool the french into removing the finger from the wrong hand. If they succeeded, they would be exchanged and still be useful as a warrior/fighter. once he was safely out of the French's hands he would salute the french with the correct remaining finger to say" I'll be back, and I'll kill you too" It was a death threat.

nadeles10

Postby nadeles10 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 am

Chicago wedding space is best for celebrations and to enjoy functions. You can search for all details regarding chicago wedding space in the internet also.

chicago wedding space

Previous

Return to General Discussions