Bizarre Trail Cam Photo: What Animal is This?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
thebowhunter

Re: Bizarre Trail Cam Photo: What Animal is This?

Postby thebowhunter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:23 am

it isnt a beaver or a martin,dont look like it any how,,looks more like a javlin and a hog cross by the head,but it could be some kind of a rodent like a nutria,animals travel a long ways so if it aint native there it could of traveled north real easy following rivers, theres moose here every winter and there not from this state ,So,Dak.

Acole0782

Postby Acole0782 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:35 am

This animal is not a Martin, Fisher, or any kind of Furbearer. My guess was Beaver at first glance, but it's too tall...It is not a Nutria or Capybara, because their ranges do not go anywhere near Wisconsin (they cannot survive the winters being Central & South American Critters)....It looks like a pig to me. Are there feral hogs or Russian Boars in WI?
MidAtlanticArcher

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 am

How are you gaging it to be too tall? Those logs look to be cuttings for pulp wood, they are not as big as you think. And a 65-70 lb beaver stands pretty tall.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:14 am

a lost Kapibara! lol Ive seen alot of Nutria's in my day and at first glance I would have to say yes but NONE that big! Im guessing those logs have a 10"-12" face, so im trying to guess the size of this animal from that! Some coonasses say they have seen nutria's get over 20lbs but I've never seen anything over about 5lbs.. BigFoots Baby is my guess!!!

orionbeme

Postby orionbeme » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Williecmo is correct - this is a beaver - angle of the photo is distorting the face a little, that's all. Even if a nutria were somehow introduced into northern Wisconsin, it would have been a wolf or coyote snack long before getting that large.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 pm

It reminds me of a raccoon. The hump back & long legs; longer & taller than a beaver. When I blew up the picture it looked like it could have the snout of a coon.

That doesn't explain the coloration or possible distortion of the head that may have been caused by movement. But if no one is able to check for tracks you might as well say it was a Leprechaun. :o
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm kind of with bobow on this one. I've trapped a lot of beaver, and while the rest of the body could very well fit a beaver's, the face is too pointy. Coons do walk with a very "humped up" body.

If there was just one more pic!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Songdog

Postby Songdog » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 am

Nutria.
Look at the head and ears.
Not a hog, or a bear, or a fischer, or a beaver for sure.
The ears are a giveaway!

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Yeah I am going to have to change my original assessment and say that after looking at it super close up I am going to say it is a beaver also.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 am

W W where do you see a pointed nose. Looks kind of flat as a beavers.

It sure is funny when going back to the beginning of this post and reading all the thoughts as to what it is.

I think some are getting throne off by that second small pic. of a nutia, that is only there for a comparison. That is not a picture of the animal in question. Read the caption.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Corner