Discuss Ted Nugent's Article, "Ethics...Schmethics!"

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
smitty0220

Re: Discuss Ted Nugent's Article,

Postby smitty0220 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 am

While he is entitled to his opinion, I never cared for many of his obnoxious comments regarding hunting. Having said that, I will agree that there are game laws on the books that should be changed. However, I am more disappointed to see D&D continue to use his services as a spokes person and writer in the magazine. It appears that being controversial and loud helps pay the rent.

I laughed when he attempts to justify his statement - "I have broken numerous laws in my life and I am damn proud I did so...I will do so again I'm sure." with the story; "...breaking the speed limit during a life & death emergency. My responsible, ethical decision saved the man's life." Now lets talk about imbecilic and nonsensical (to use Ted's words!). No rational individual would hesitate to do the exact same thing under the same circumstances. How does that story even fit in with an article about hunting ethics? Why did he not state that he has broken numerous laws in his life and he is sorry that he did so - and then go on to tell about his recent hunting violations? Instead, he attempts to portrait himself as some sort of hero by ethically speeding to a hospital?

Scotman - you were on target with your statement that ethics were not intended to be instituted into game laws! Ethics in hunting pertain to obeying game laws when no one (but God) is watching you.

If you don't like the game laws, then make every effort to get them changed! If more of the hunters who applaud Nugent's verbal vomiting, would get involved with their local hunting organizations and get game laws changed, then loud and obnoxious individuals, would not have much of a soapbox to stand upon. There are many outstanding, law-abiding writers who could easily fill D&D's pages.

El Conquistador

Postby El Conquistador » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Could you name a local hunting organization (or a national one for that matter) that puts in any effort to get any dumb laws changed? And please, give an example of how they did it & what dumb law they got changed if you would.

I'm not being a smartass either, I would actually like to join/donate/work with one.

MikeinMO

Re: RE: Discuss Ted Nugent's Article,

Postby MikeinMO » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:16 pm

scotman wrote:
Do you agree or disagree with Nugent's comments? Do you think game laws in your area are ethical? What does it mean to be ethical? Should hunters need to point out their ethical behavior? We look forward to hearing from you.

For instance we can't use salt licks here  in NY? Why is that? Is it because a salt lick is unethical to use? I thought the same in-till I asked our DEC office. The answer was, the law is not in place for ethics it is there based on scientific findings that deer readily contract and spread diseases when using the same salt licks.

Could you get your wildlife scientists to explain to the rest of us how to get these disease communicating deer to stop using licking branches as a means of communication and territory marking? Also how do they get the deer to not share natural salt licks?

MikeinMO

Postby MikeinMO » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:21 pm

El Conquistador wrote:Could you name a local hunting organization (or a national one for that matter) that puts in any effort to get any dumb laws changed? And please, give an example of how they did it & what dumb law they got changed if you would.

I'm not being a smartass either, I would actually like to join/donate/work with one.

I will give some kudos to the Missouri Conservation Commission. They frequently hold open town hall meetings, and actually do listen to hunters ideas and concerns, and will actually act on many of them. Still haven't been able to get them to consider the value of baiting in suburban archery areas though. I think that's going to be essential to attract deer onto the limited number of acres where people allow them to be hunted, amid many hundreds of acres where the owners do not allow hunting. It seems wierd that anti hunters can put feeders on their property to keep deer OFF of property where hunting is allowed, but not vice versa. This is not to say I consider baiting all that effective, or to be a panacea, but it might help in some situations. I've been skunked hunting over bait every bit as often as I've been skunked hunting otherwise.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey iffy! How's it going? You keeping everyone on the straight and narrow? :)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features