Keeping the bow level

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Jimbo

Keeping the bow level

Postby Jimbo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:18 am

Recently moved from a lifetime of shooting recurve and long bows instinctively to shooting a Matthews Z7 Xtreme with all the bells and whistles.

I've been shooting ok. At 20 yards I am consistently hammering the bullseye. At 30, looser groups and one arrow out of five is not close. Same at 40.

Here is my question. I shoot right handed. I've noticed that when I naturally sight my bow that I cant my left arm, and the bow, slightly to the left. I only know this by looking at the level bubble on my sight. I turn my wrist and arm slightly to the right to center the bubble. This doesn't feel natural, and the time it takes to level everything affects my shooting--I have to hold at full draw longer, and lose my natural shooting rhythm.

When I shoot my traditional bows instinctively I will often cant the bow significantly and don't notice any difference in accuracy.

With my current set up, how important is it to have the bow "level"?

Jimbo

Proline

Re: Keeping the bow level

Postby Proline » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 pm

IMO, it is significantly inportant. I always shoot better with the bow level. In time you will develop a "feel" for it and should become a very quick check. I draw, anchor and check the level as my fist three steps in the drawing process. Leveling takes a split second. I have seen ads for that new sight, Retina lock, and wonder if that is a gimick. Seems to be same principle. I would love to try one but they seem to be pricey.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 pm

@Jimbo- i was told the level is only for when its mounted to the bow...or attaching equipment...im all about less is more and it feeling natural to draw the bow...i would try shooting what [[feels right..] ..even if-it meens tipping the bow that way. esp. if you use a whisker biscuit...arrow rest...than just try following the arrow with your pins....try this on your own if the archery shop will not help......if it doesnt work or seem to be in- accurate..than go back to trying to correct the problem..

I understand your issue and was doing that and punching the shot..from yrs of gun hunting...and finger shooting a recurve....punching the shot took longer to correct than i thought...almost a yr of trial and errors....I have a bubble level on my sight pins and never look at it ...ever!...like i said i had to find an open minded Archery shop with a regular guy to set-up my bow ....he didnt push anything and he even remarked at how my shooting improved once i took off my peep sight and just use the kisser button and my nose as an anchor point.

If it doesnt feel right odds are you will be fighting it and struggling during season...either practice your behind off and stop teetering the bow hand or try moving your pins and doing what feels right...one will succeed over the other..it cant hurt to try both..Good luck`stay positive.~JON~

Michigan Archer

Postby Michigan Archer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Jimbo I had a similar issue with a new bow I was just sent. I had taken the level off my apex nitrus when it was on my old bow. With left arm torque issues with my new bow I decided to put it back on the sight. Yes it takes a split second more to be sure that you're leveled out but you have a couple more months to practice. Practice doesn't make perfect but it does make permanent! Practice makes permanent!!! My mind set was that I owed it to the animal that I was looking to harvest and be at accurate as possible!

To each their own

Proline

Postby Proline » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 am

"i was told the level is only for when its mounted to the bow...or attaching equipment.'

This is completely incorrect. Its all about grip and torque.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

I cant to the left very slightly. I think I should just focus on a quick glance at the level as I sight.

Jon--I like your advice about using my pin to "follow the arrow". Never heard of that or thought of it that way, and it makes a lot of sense.

Can't wait to try it!

Jimbo

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Proline wrote:"i was told the level is only for when its mounted to the bow...or attaching equipment.'

This is completely incorrect. Its all about grip and torque.

I will take you for you word on that...my reply.......Jonny5buck doesnt need a level ...i shoot better without it...or without paying attention to it..its all about repetition and anchor points ,when you dont''think''...you just do...you realize how little you ''need '' on a bow.~ :D `

Proline

Postby Proline » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 pm

That is what its about, repetition and Form. The checking of the level is is a quick less than a half second part of the shot sequence after you draw. The level is a great feature because it helps you perfect that part of your form. when you settle in to anchor If you constantly check it and shoot enough you will quickly learn that leveling bow just happens on it own thru repetition. Glad it works for you with out it. Thats what its about. You gotta find out what works for YOU! Doesn't matter what kind of bow you buy if you buy the one thats best to YOU.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 am

Jimbo, I'm not an expert, but have shot a lot of deer in the days of recurves. I find it some what odd that you canted the bow to the left. I and most people I know that shot recurves would cant the bow, if any to the right. Anyway, I was wondering if on the new bow you have a bow sling at the hand grip. It can be a problem solver, being that some tend to grip the bow tightly and create canting and or twisting. A sling lets you comfortably hold a loose grip that sometimes can correct some problems. Just a thought.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:46 am

I would say BOTH of the above responses are good ones....form is the building blocks of perfection or at least a good foundation of it...besides repitition....The bow grip also took me some time to do correctly..everyone has their preferance but a loose grip seems to be the way..

Proline ~ thanks for not taking defense to my post.i did only meen that it somehow works for me..its not for everyone...prob. not for most...for me too many things on a bow correlate to me thinking too much...the less there is the better[for me]...some guys will benefit from the peep sight bow level etc.....im just not one of them....if your an archery shop guy i would say your probably a good one ...its usually the ones who are not dead set in their ways that offer the best advice-Good luck Jimbo....stick with it..and remember you can always go back to recurve also..i have some respect for the guys like WW and others who knock down deer with longbows and recurves...Either way good luck ...stay positive-JON~

Return to Archery and Bowhunting