Please recomend a saftey harness for a new bowhunter.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JayBird

Please recomend a saftey harness for a new bowhunter.

Postby JayBird » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Im a new bow hunter here in south carolina and was wondering if anyone could recomend a saftey harness. I haven't been able to try any on yet because the Dick's sporting goods dosen't have any harnesses in my size. Has anyone tried the tree spider, muddy, or HSS brands?

jonny5buck

Re: Please recomend a saftey harness for a new bowhunter.

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I think a lot of guys love the HSS safety vests...they are supposedly easy to put on and a joy to wear...i cant comment on them since i have never used one of that brand...i have a linesman style that i love ...it came with my ''summit treestand...comfy reliable and easy to use...regardless of which one you choose i would prefer one that doubles like i said/ as a safety harness and a linesman belt...that way you can hang stands ''handsfree'' and also clip onto the the tree strap once in the stand...dont use the cheaper models that come with the cheaper stands ..esp. the all black ones...they are hard to figure out in the day ...let alone if your putting it on in the dark..

Mine is gray and i took permanent marker and wrote [rt] shoulder ...[lft] shoulder...[rt] leg ...[lft] leg on the gray straps with a black marker...makes putting it on a breeze....good luck~

metropig4860

Postby metropig4860 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I have used a Hunter Safety System vest for the last three years. I really liked the ease of putting the vest on. After a while I got a little annoyed with the "vest" part of the harness. It made it difficult for me to access some of the pockets in my hunting clothing. The pockets on the vest itself were nice but I would rather have access to the pockets on my jackets. This year I purchased HSS new harness Ultra lite extreme. It is a slimmed down version. It still goes on and off just as easy but it has no vest to get in the way of my pockets. I used it today while taking down some tree stands and I was very pleased. HSS makes a good product and I'm glad to see they have extended their line to include something for everyone's tastes.

JayBird

Postby JayBird » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:21 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. Gotta get on it! Can you believe the season opens monday here in my part of South Carolina?!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Jaybird, also check under "General Discussions" the topic named "Use or not to use a safety harness". Lots of good points to know about how to survive a fall with a safety vest on. You still face danger until you actually get on the ground again. Good luck in your search.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

cmarberg18

Postby cmarberg18 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:22 am

HSS! Nothing better on the market! Cant wait to try out their new ultra-light harness! Wouldn't trust my life to anything else.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am

Ditto on the HSS Ultralight. I own both the vest version and the new Ultralight.
The Ultralight goes on fast and easy and once it's on you don't even realize you are wearing it.
Nice new features also includes the lineman's strap which doubles as your tree tether.

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Looks nice. Would like to try one before I spend $100. Very similar to the Summit Seat O Pants. My only question is are the shoulder straps adjustable to allow for when you have to put on your heavy December clothes? I do not see any adjustment to accomodate the additional layers. If not adjustable I suspect it would fit tight in cold weather.

The only draw backs I see are the line man belt, the tree tether and the deer drag. They should encompass all three into one item. Packing three is a drag and likely hood of leaving one behind increases. The seat o pants comes with lineman style belt that also serves as tree tether. The teather to the tree operates with a Prusset Knot which is nice because you can adjust the length of the tether from the tree. Sometimes if the tether is short you can not move enough for shot.

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:01 am

HSS user here. Only reccomendation I would make is that if you're hunting out of multiple stands, spend the money and buy multiple tree straps, so all you have to do is hook yourself up once you're in the tree, and you don't have to fumble with getting the strap around the tree.

I'm a firm believer in the HSS. It's easy to use, so you'll use it.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

ChasePhase

Postby ChasePhase » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 am

HSS
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting