Back Problems?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Healthy Outdoorsman

Back Problems?

Postby Healthy Outdoorsman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 am

I used to suffer from chronic low back pain. I couldn't even sit in my stand for more than 2 or 3 hours before I had to get down and stretch. It wasn't until I actually got certified as a personal trainer that I actually learned how to use proper form, strengthen my core, and made my back problems all but disappear. I used this core stability routine I came across to help.

Arm Only Bird Dog 3×10(each arm) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y34NHiZvqg

3 Point Plank 2×10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPenvIsjQQ&feature=fvsr

Vertical Pallof Press 2×12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YEJDaKtJwc

Anyone else having back problems? Got any other suggestions?
If a man speaks in the woods and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

http://www.healthyoutdoorsman.com

JPH

Re: Back Problems?

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 am

This thread used to be pinned to the top, before they revamped the forum. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5319

Somehow the description didn't make the trip into the new format. The basic idea is that you hold each position for :30 each, with minimal transition time. It only takes about 5 minutes and is suggested as a daily routine.

Sheridan5

Postby Sheridan5 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 am

I sleep on my part, and lately ive been getting pain in my back, and i need to turn my side to get 30 a few moments of comfort before the other part affects. it seems like bone pain,and i cant tell if its a rib or my central source. I've muscle muscular in previous times,may be its strat again.Any better guideness about these!!

weight loss Anaheim Hills
Last edited by Sheridan5 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 am

Sheridan5 wrote:I sleep on my part, and lately ive been getting pain in my back, and i need to turn my side to get 30 a few moments of comfort before the other part affects. it seems like bone pain,and i cant tell if its a rib or my central source. I've muscle muscular in previous times,may be its strat again.Any better guideness about these!!

Sounds like something structural. See a doctor.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi. Actually, I had the brilliant idea of taking up hunting just after I had subsequent spinal fusions at the age of 20 and 21 respectively. I am used to dealing with a measure of back pain, which of course is felt more when you are in one place for a good period of time. For me it helps to provide heat to the area if you are sitting on a stand, for example. Toe warmers or those self-sticking back warmers help. Avoiding medication is great, but let's be real, some basic advil can help. Using exercises for your back make the biggest impact as you build up the support muscles. Don't forget your whole core goes into this. Planks, crunches, etc. Half each for your back and stomach. When you wake up is good, before you head out. If you do just a little bit every day it starts to make a difference. Like Healthy Outdoorsman said.

I am all for staying on your spot through the day if that is the best course of action, so casually try to incorporate some stretches as you stand/sit/or still hunt. Also be mindful of how you will drag your deer and put into your truck.

Most of all, be comfy as much as possible. And don't be afraid to tell your doctor that your back pain is interfering with your life. He/she might have good ideas. Mine was crippling, hence the surgeries (I have had a few now). But I can do more at 38 than I could at 20. You may need a referral based upon your insurance to see an orthopedic doctor. I wish you the best!!

- Moira
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm

I also had periodic lower back pain. But last year I pinched a nerve in my lower back. I went to the chiropractor and discovered that I was born with one leg slightly shorter than the other. Through a 90 day theropy program my back is great! This is apparently very common and something that you may want to rule out should you experience similar discomfort.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:40 pm

clarajosh, welcome to the forum.
I hope I am wrong, but your first post sounds like sales copy, and you dropped a link for a google hit. Forgive me, if I am wrong, but I believe you are spamming the site with free advertising.
If you wish to advertise here, you MUST see Big Ben first. He can be reached here at: E-mail me at Ben.Sobieck@fwmedia.com.

Now, enjoy the forum. there are some great folks here, and a great deal of knowledge to learn, and to share. Your input would be welcome.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

richdevlin761

Postby richdevlin761 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:09 pm

The basic idea is that you hold each position for :30 each, with minimal transition time. It only takes about 5 minutes and is suggested as a daily routine.

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness