"Big Bucks Are In The Details"

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Woods Walker

"Big Bucks Are In The Details"

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 pm

In the recent September issue (2011), there's an article by Steve Bartylla about paying attention to details while hunting big bucks. I agree wholeheartedly with most all of what he says in the article, but the lead in made me roll my eyes a bit.

He writes how he just gotten into his stand, and had barely pulled the rope up when this 164 inch bucks walks in and he kills it. So far, so good. Then he states,

"At first glance, you might think that I got lucky on that hunt.........However, luck had no role in my hunt for that 164-inch 11 pointer".

Whaaa? No luck??? Methinks the author may have a slight ego problem! Luck ALWAYS has something to do with a hunt. It can range from absolutely dumb/blind luck on one extreme, to the situation that he describes in the opening to his article. Had he gotten to his stand just a MINUTE or so later, then that big deer may very well have busted him as he was climbing into his stand. It could have been something as insignificant as him forgetting to lock his truck, stopping to re-adjust an item he was carrying or forgetting an item so that he had to walk back to his truck or camp to get it. It's happened to all of us at one time or another. He was also "lucky" that with this being a bowhunt, that the deer presented him with a bow shot opportunity. Just because you have a deer within bow range does NOT mean that you will necessarily have a shot.

Now, as I said, I agree strongly with the rest of his article, and it shows the reason why some hunters seem to be "luckier" than others. A lot of luck is "luck" that you make yourself. As someone once said, "Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity". But there's ALWAYS a bit of luck, fate, karma...or whatever you want to call it involved in a hunt. In fact, speaking for myself, if deer hunting COULD be controlled to the point where luck played no role in it anymore, then for me it'd no longer be true hunting. Fact is, it'd get BORING!

Bartylla was prepared for this hunt, that's for sure. But whether he wants to admit it or not, the hand of fate/luck is what sealed the deal for him.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

jonny5buck

Re: "Big Bucks Are In The Details"

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Reading is for smart people- :lol: ..i didnt read the article but agree with you WW-...seconds can meen the differance in each and every hunt--call it fate ,luck ,whatever...i agree

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Exactly Woods. My uncle always called me "lucky". My standard response was, "luck is a byproduct of skill" Some of that was tongue in cheek, but there certainly is an element of truth to it. There is an bit of luck in most everything we do.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am

I believe your amount of luck is directly correlated to your amount of preparation. As an example, I have two buddies that I hunt with often. Myself and one of the guys prepare like crazy all year long, and always have chances at deer each season (and generally fill our tags with a bow). The other one is as disorganized as you get, and he rarely gets a deer (or turkey for that matter). Preparation is the key to success as Steve B. said in the article.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 pm

mnmaverick wrote:I believe your amount of luck is directly correlated to your amount of preparation. As an example, I have two buddies that I hunt with often. Myself and one of the guys prepare like crazy all year long, and always have chances at deer each season (and generally fill our tags with a bow). The other one is as disorganized as you get, and he rarely gets a deer (or turkey for that matter). Preparation is the key to success as Steve B. said in the article.

I think the "luck had no role in my hunt" statement is the problem. I am in 100% agreement with you about preparation, but even with preparation. killing a 160"+ whitetail still has a small element of luck when it is with a bow.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:26 pm

pgchambers wrote:
mnmaverick wrote:I believe your amount of luck is directly correlated to your amount of preparation. As an example, I have two buddies that I hunt with often. Myself and one of the guys prepare like crazy all year long, and always have chances at deer each season (and generally fill our tags with a bow). The other one is as disorganized as you get, and he rarely gets a deer (or turkey for that matter). Preparation is the key to success as Steve B. said in the article.

I think the "luck had no role in my hunt" statement is the problem. I am in 100% agreement with you about preparation, but even with preparation. killing a 160"+ whitetail still has a small element of luck when it is with a bow.

I won't disagree with that! I consider myself to be a hunting preparation freak, and I haven't shot a 160"! My equation is something like:

0% preparation = 100% luck
100% preparation = 25% luck

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am

mnmaverick wrote:
pgchambers wrote:

I won't disagree with that! I consider myself to be a hunting preparation freak, and I haven't shot a 160"! My equation is something like:

0% preparation = 100% luck
100% preparation = 25% luck

I'll try and remember to give you credit when I quote that in the future. :D
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:42 am

Ha! Well, it's very scientific! :lol:

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features