.45 ACP / 1911 questions....

dusty.b

.45 ACP / 1911 questions....

Postby dusty.b » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:35 am

I am interested in buying a 1911 / .45 ACP when I get back to the US. Question is what...Springfield, Kimber, Sig Sauer, Para, S&W??? Since I do not know a lot about these, I am looking for reviews/input from you fellow handgun owners. Please let me know what make/model you have along with any likes/dislikes. So I either know what to look for or stay away from. Thanks...

Bowtechian

RE: .45 ACP / 1911 questions....

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 pm

dusty,

I bought a Springfield XD .45 ACP last week after doing some research. I usually read product reviews like Cabela's & Midway USA have on their websites before buying expensive items. Reviews have also helped with avoiding certain types of ammo for various reasons.

The 1911's that I checked prices on were in the $800-$900 range. (or more in some cases)
Dave M.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:49 pm

ORIGINAL: dusty.b

I am interested in buying a 1911 / .45 ACP when I get back to the US. Question is what...Springfield, Kimber, Sig Sauer, Para, S&W??? Since I do not know a lot about these, I am looking for reviews/input from you fellow handgun owners. Please let me know what make/model you have along with any likes/dislikes. So I either know what to look for or stay away from. Thanks...

I've owned (and own) 12 model 1911's including Taurus, Colt, Kimber, Springfield & a Custom Les Baer. I have 3 WWII editions including one made by Remington Rand & one by the Singer Sewing Machine Co. Almost bought one made by the Burroughs Adding Machine company, but it's rare & was way out of my price range. You see, there was no way Colt could manufacture all the guns required by the services during the war.

Anyway, I'd love to make a recommendation, but I don't know why you want one. Target, service pistol, home defense or all of the above? Plus, it would help if you gave me a price range you're comfortable with as 1911 type .45's range from $500 to over $2,000. Depending on use & budget, a $640 Springfield could serve you just as well (or better) as a $2,000 Springfield.

If you prefer, you can PM me.
[:)]

dusty.b

Postby dusty.b » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 am

Thanks Bowtechian and mightyfofaad for your input.

@ mightyfofaad - The primary reason I am looking for a .45 is target shooting. I have really been looking at the Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45 ACP. What is the difference between the Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45 ACP and the Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 ACP? Price is not really an issue, I simply want a well build and accurate .45. Let me know if you have any more input or recommendations. Thanks again...

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 pm

ORIGINAL: dusty.b

Thanks Bowtechian and mightyfofaad for your input.

@ mightyfofaad - The primary reason I am looking for a .45 is target shooting. I have really been looking at the Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45 ACP. What is the difference between the Kimber Eclipse Custom II .45 ACP and the Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 ACP? Price is not really an issue, I simply want a well build and accurate .45. Let me know if you have any more input or recommendations. Thanks again...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, however, for some reason I wasn't notified of your post. Imma guessin since you bring up the Kimber, you've seen it & like it. The Eclipse is a very nice pistol. The only difference between the Custom & the Target ... are the sights, which as you may have surmised, are adjustable on the target model.

Now, I might suggest that before you buy the Kimber, you take a look at the Colt Gold Cup. I think it has a slight edge, especially inasmuch as it has an adjustable trigger which allows you (if you are so inclined) to remove all slack (or travel) in the trigger so it fires with pressure alone without any travel whatsoever.

They are (I think) comparably priced. Good luck.
[:)]

dusty.b

Postby dusty.b » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, I will be sure to check out the Colt Gold Cup.

Return to Handguns