Climber Stand Challenged

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
kellory

Re: Climber Stand Challenged

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 pm

If you get the climber, You will find it very useful. It is possible to lose the lower section if you do not have them attached to each other. It does not take much. Mine has a lace or cord that ties both pieces togeather with about 3 foot seperation. and that is more than plenty. small branches are easy( I carry a folding bow saw) they are very safe as long as you assemble them correctly! make sure your locking pins intercept the cable LOOP not the cable. And take small bites going up and down, much easier. I have a rain roof for mine, and skirts are available. When down for a short time I use a dog cable teather and a pad lock to make sure it will be there when I am ready to go back up. Aluminum ones are lighter, steel ones are cheaper. Last tip. Go to a thrift store and look at back packs. Find one that has good shoulder straps and a waist belt that straps to the pack. might be ten bucks or so. the adjustable waist belt will wrap the tree forks of the stand and the shoulderstraps work much better than the origonals. You will find this MUCH more comfortable to pack in any real distance. The waist belt just unlases when you are ready to use it. And the wieght at your hips not on your shoulders will make a big difference in your comfort.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 am

Guys I have hunted with a climber stand in the past but now I use a Trre saddle by Trophyline usa. www.trophylineusa.com I hunt all public land here and with the tree saddle all I have to carry in with me is a set of stackin steps. The saddle only weighs maybe three pounds and I walk in with out sweating up a storm. On the backside of the tree when I am at the top I use a few strap on steps attached to a ratchet strap so I have 360 degrees rotation around the tree . I have sat comfortable for 5 hours once in it . Also it is a seat and harness all in one so it is more safe that a tree stand and you can not fall out of it . I will never go back to a regular tree stand again . Just my $.02 8-) ;) :D

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 am

I have also heard the horror stories of climbers and believe they are ''wives tales'' told by those who never used a climber or the real old ,very first models that were sketchy at best.
I have used my summit viper ss...for several yrs and got it because its alum. not steel[so lighter and wont rust]...besides the reputation and hundreds of satisfied users....the harness that comes with it also rocks!....As far using on a wet tree ,i have several times and never had an issue...ice is another story...the only way you could get the bottom portion to fall is by doing something completely dangerous and stupid...i dont know what that is but its almost impossible,,,the only to other factors that would come into play would be if it slid off your feet while climbing or the pitch of it.....the sit and climb [like i use are extremely safe].....Always use the cinch strap on the top portion when at your desired height...it locks the Top Portion...so if you bump it UP...it will not move...dont go overboard i only use a pull strap...a ratchet strap can pull on welds and warp the stand.

When i first used a climber i had the top portion drop to my ankles...i bumped it ''UP''...like when your climbing and didnt have a pull strap to cinch the top portion...you must do this every time....and cinch it first thing!...always stand with your weight on both feet equal....and climb slow and methodical...some trees the bark will flake off but a climber works on leverage ...get to know your trees and how to pitch your climber correctly...i step out to the outer edge of the bottom platform..to help seat it tight when at my hunting level....never move your weight from section to the other until it is fully seated...going fast is a no no..and i would gather that thats how accidents happen...i was told ''only take bites as far as your willing to fall''... so 6inches to a foot is safer than taking huge leaps while climbing or coming back down....watch out for leaning trees also ..once you first start climbing with a climber you find that every imperfection in a tree is magnified while climbing it...lean..knots...wounds and stubs....

Climb your trees pre-season.and trim those branches then.sit in that trees and decide which way is east and west...It sucks to find out for a morning hunt that the sun will be blinding you from an east rising sun...possibly ruining your chances of a deer of a lifetime...p[ractice using and setting up PRE-SEASON...and also shooting from it...during season isnt the time to get familar with your stand...it should be a safe asset ..not a burden...good luck bud-JON~

One more thing never ,,never,, ever,.... leave your stand..... esp a climber in the woods ...pack it back out every time ...if its left out all yr. snow and water get in it and the freeze and thawing pops welds ..sometimes weakening them form the inside....you might not see a stress crack from this and could be deadly!!! The sun also degrades any and all ratchet straps...its the most overlooked by most hunters ...the sun destroys straps beyond belief and a tree NEVER stops growing...those are just a few reasons i pull my stands EVERY yr..and never ever leave them in the woods for more than a month or so after season ends...than they come down and get put in a basement or barn storage..away from light and the direct elements--be safe Climbers are safe when used right.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:59 pm

^ Truth about leaving a stand out in the elements too long. Rain turns to ice and damages stands to where they can be unsafe.
I often pack my climber in the day before and return to hunt from it the next morning. It is always easier to walk in quietly in daylight without having to carry and attach a climber in the dark. I use four of those butterfly-style trailer hitch coupling locks to attach it to the tree which are extremely difficult to cut off. Nothing makes me madder than to show up to hunt and my stand be gone.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I have spent a lot of hours in a stand in my life and climbing stands are much more comfortable than anything else I've ever hunted from. The longer you can sit comfortably, the longer you can remain hidden and the better your chances on tagging deer.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Tree Stands