Looing for advice...new compound bow for wife

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bubbas1

Looing for advice...new compound bow for wife

Postby bubbas1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:38 pm

I am looking to get a new bow for my wife. We have no idea on whats good or bad. Looking to spend around $500 - $700 for a bow.
Here is some info...she has been shooting for 20 yrs...her current bow is 20yrs old...draw length 27.5...45-50 lbs..wants light weight...wants short bow (cam to cam) ...easy smooth drawback.

I dont know the first thing about bows (never shot one) and the only thing she knows is what she has.

Any suggestions

Thanks

charlie 01

Re: Looing for advice...new compound bow for wife

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Now days, most bow manufacturers are pretty close in being good quality equipment. I have a Parker and a PSE. I've had them for a few yrs now and am happy with both. I don't know where you have access to buy, but I see that Cabela's catalog has a Parker bow that could be right for her. It's called a Side Kick Extreme, that has the newer parallel limb design with a 80% let off, offered in a package at $330.00. Has a life time waranty, a good brace height, 31" long, and weighs 3 1/4 lbs. Has adjustible draw length 18 to 28". Can be had in a weight range of 40-60 lbs. The only thing is , it only comes in right hand. You did not mention if she is a rt. or left hand shooter.
With the cams that are on it as pictured, I would say it is a smooth drawing bow.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bubbas1

Postby bubbas1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks Charlie 01,

She is a right handed shooter. We are going tonight to the little bow shop where she has been getting her arrows done for many years. He only carries PSE so she is going to try out the Chaos,Stinger and Bull Madness to see how they feel for her.

We have a Cabelas not to far from us so we will probably head over there to check out the Side Kick so she has different ones to compare.

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:32 am

I would suggest an 08 or 09 60lb.Martin MOAB Pro Hunter, its very smooth, very quiet, very adjustable and quite fast. It is also very reasonable price because for some reason they dont have a very high resale value. They IBO at 315-320 and they have a 32 1/4 axle to axle. I have had mine tuned down to as low as 35 pounds (with a shorter string) when i first got it at 12 years old and currently have it in the upper 50s (stock string). It works great for me and havent had a single complaint.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 pm

bubbas1, let us know what you've decided on. The PSE I have is a Stinger. It is a nice, short, light, and fast bow. There is a lot of new bow equipment out there that should be looked into. Sights, drop away rests, releases, arrows etc. Does your wife hunt or just target shoot? What about yourself, doen't it interest you? Just curious.
never say never

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:23 am

I think the better question is what bows in the $500-$700 range should you stay away from. I don't have the answer to that, but others reading this might. I do think that every archer has their preference, and most think their bow is the best, so it really comes down to which bow in that range feels best to your wife(excluding the ones with a track record of problems of course). I would have her shoot several manufacturer's bows, and let her decide which feels best. With her experience, she'll know.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

bubbas1

Postby bubbas1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 pm

She ended up with a stinger. It will be ready tommorow after the shop puts on the ripcord rest,trophy ridge 5pin,trufire release,stablizer,sling,peep,kisser and quiver. Total price was $600.

Pgc...you were correct about about it coming down to which bow felt best for her. It felt real comfortable for her holding it. She couldnt believe the weight difference.

Charlie...She hunts and target shoots. She has been on a league for the last 19 years. She turkey and deer hunts. She has enough points for a bear tag this year but the dogs go first so she is going to wait till next year. She wants to take one with a bow. I have never tried bow hunting (gun only). Its hard for me to get time off that time of year. So I get the hand me down in case I get the time.

Thanks for all the advice

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Your welcome,and good luck to you and yours.
never say never

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 am

bubbas,
Don't do it! It's an addiction that you won't be able to control. :mrgreen:
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting