The Johnny King Buck

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
boojou

The Johnny King Buck

Postby boojou » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Due to the stress of having alot to do over a few days (score many racks at a deer show), Reneau may have judged too quickly in his assessment of this possible world record buck. Having listened to some of the "Higher Up Hot Dogs" in BC and PY at various times over many years, a hugely inflated ego is not lacking in some of these individuals. With regard to a potential world record...a panel of judges should determine the status of this racks questionable points, not just one of these walking gigantic egos. Could this be why more and more hunters are not considering entering their trophies in BC? If BC is all about "fair this and fair that", why are they?????

danesdad

Re: The Johnny King Buck

Postby danesdad » Sun May 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Does this guy hage anything at stake in keeping the Hanson buck at number one? Because he (reneau) seems to be the only person who thinks the rack has the abnormal point.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Duane

Postby Duane » Sun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

It seems to me that the evidence is overwhelming, the buck should be panel scored by B&C. It also seems to me that Jack Reneau, executive secretary of B&C can't admit that he may have made a mistake! Sad day for the whitetail world! Swallow your pride Jack, and let the scoring begin again! Thought B&C was a stand up organization?

deerslayerdave

Postby deerslayerdave » Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Amazing how two people can look at the same thing and see pretty much the opposite. The King buck is astounding in all respects, and if this buck and the Hanson buck showed up at my stand at the same time, I would probably shoot the King buck. But, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture, and before I read the article is that this deer has a common base for the G-2 and "G-3" There were other official measurers who DID agree with Jack Reneau. He has the enormous responsibility as the B&C gatekeeper, and while he might have handled it better, I think you have unfairly made him the villain. To me, it is simple, either there is a clear separation between the points or not. Due to the obvious difference of opinion and controversy, I would say there is definitely not. I recall four or five years ago another potential world record buck was shot down for the same issue. To score this buck as a 6 x 6 would open a real can of worms.

Maxie Bordeaux

Postby Maxie Bordeaux » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 am

In my opinion there are no perfect racks so why is there a scoring system based on a perfection. I don't believe in fair or unfair I simply believe in right and wrong. You know what they say,"opinions are like blank and everyone's got one." I'm of the opinion that a deer should be scored based on two categories, typical and non-typical. Score every inch with no ludicrous deductions and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Ohh boy here we go again.. I would rather see the Mio Hanson buck as the world record. After all of this controversy, I don’t want look back and say yeah the King buck is the world record. I want a clear cut, no debate that it is a world record. That’s just me thought. Personally I think that it is a non-typical.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

WBowhunt

Postby WBowhunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

I personally don't care about B&C, as I have never lived anywhere a buck would even make the books. However I do care about the overall view of our sport as a whole and
1. Feel too much is placed on that Final number
2. If you are going to place that much on the number and they clain it is about the number and not $$, Then why or how did one person get that much authority to judge this buck. If buck is scored that could break the world record one way, then in my opinion there never, for one second, should have been an option not to have this deer Panel scored. Renau should have scored it, realized that it was a potential based on how that point was scored. B&C should have been advised a new potential record was brought in and without giving his opinion of the score, suggested it be panel scored. If this had been done, this would not be an issue.
But the second Renau made his decision and announced to everyone how he saw it, This one way done, as there are so many politics in the orgranization that no antlers would get a fair score.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Let's not lose sight of the fact that, no matter what some arbitrary and possibly biased organization says, this is still a FANTASTIC animal.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:02 am

So for those of you that consider it non-typical. Many people disagree, so why not let a panel decide? I, personally am on the fence, but have seen a number of other deer with the same characteristic scored as typical by B&C. How can one buck with that type of split at the base be typical, and another not be? It just smells bad, and the fact that it is all being dictated by one man, and not even allowed to go to a panel is bull. I respect and see validity in both opinions, as do a lot of hunters, so let a panel decide.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

JohnWayne

Postby JohnWayne » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am

I find Boone and Crockets decision to not measure the Johnny King buck dissapointing as well. With Deer and Deer Huntings support we could post a petition for hunters to support Johnny King to get his buck measured and if it measures up he should be the world record holder. I could care less who owns the rack now, as hunters we all hope to someday shoot a record book buck, and us as fellow hunters need to step up and stand together and make this right. Technically aren't these our hunting success records? Lets check the pulse of other hunters. What do you think?

Next

Return to Breaking News