Target Shooting Confidence

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
baacke13

Target Shooting Confidence

Postby baacke13 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:14 pm

I practice a lot maybe even too much. But I was wondering if there is any fact to the idea that you will be more confident/accurate after shooting at a target shaped as the animal you are hunting over stressing over perfection on 1 to 2 inch bullseye.

Woods Walker

Re: Target Shooting Confidence

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 pm

I break my practice sessions up into two parts.....FORM practice....and "pick a spot" practice.

My form practice most of the time is spent shooting at a regular bullseye at close range. I'm not really focusing on aiming at this point, but more on my form. Sometimes I will close my eyes, draw my bow, and as I do that I visualize the part of my form that I'm working on....back muscles, arm, draw hand, etc. Sometimes I will draw the bow, and then SLOWLY let it down, while focusing on my form. After a half dozen times or so of this then I will loose an arrow.

The I go to my regular shooting practice, or "pick a spot", as I call it. I shoot a recurve instinctively, and I do NOT want to have to think of ANY part of my form or shooting mechanics once I start to focus on a spot. My concentration has to be 100% on the molecule of the spot I want to hit. ANY archer should have his/her form down pat anyway regardless of which aiming method they use.

That said, I do recommend that once your form is solid, then shooting at an animal shaped target will help you for hunting. A 3-D target is the best, because it will make you aware of the penetration angles, and also the fact that it, like a deer, is 3 dimensional.

I also love to shoot Judo points in my yard,as then I can shoot at almost anything and not lose an arrow. "Picking a spot" on a weed head gently moving in the breeze will DEFINATELY make you concentrate!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:39 am

I do all my practicing (with field tips) on 2 inch bulls eyes. I know that if I use the right form I can shoot 3 inch groups or better out to 30 yards which is pretty much the maximum range my current set up is capable of shooting, but I always get aggravated because it seems I'm always just off the bullseye and not hitting my "spot". But I feel like on the few occasions that I do get to shoot at a 3d target or even just a cardboard cut out of an animal I can't miss the vitals. This always has puzzled me.

Proline

Postby Proline » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 am

I shoot bag targets winter/spring/summer. September 1 comes and pretty much nothing but 3d's. Little different when ther isn;t bullseye to focus on

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 am

I often tape vitals pictures on my targets(as life size as possible). I then can try my different angles and yardages shooting for the lungs and heart. A kill shot is a good shot in this scenario, so I tend to be less focused on hitting that small spot. I do still pick a spot, but again, I am less concerned about how close I am to the exact spot, and more concerned that my shot "killed" the animal. Just a cheaper alternative to 3D targets is all.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:26 am

I painted a detailed vitals on one of my targets works great but pulling field tips out of an open layer broad head target isn't easy so I stick to my bag target for field tips.

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:17 pm

baacke13 wrote:I painted a detailed vitals on one of my targets works great but pulling field tips out of an open layer broad head target isn't easy so I stick to my bag target for field tips.

You can use field points on a broadhead target but you need to use lubricant such as Scorpion Venom or something similar. You have to lube every 3 or 4 shots.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Made a monumental discovery in my inncosistency. I found that I had been forgetting to make sure that I aligned my peep and my front sight the same way every time. My accuracy and confidence instantly increased.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Attachments
bc051611hdc[1].jpg
bc051611hdc[1].jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:53 am

I have two deer targets...and HD deer I use to "get in shape" on at ground level and a small Mckenzie that is used to shoot at from a 16ft stand...I only use 3 arrows and I move the target around to different yrds....I shoot instinctive so by the time I'm ready to stand practice I'm concentrating on the spot I'm aiming at...using 3 arrows forces me to "settle"...for at my age climbing up and down that 16ft ladder to shoot just three times is rough on the knees ;) ..This also helps me relearn to control my breathing....for after shooting 18 arrows(6sessions) or so ...by the time I hit the top of the stand on a warm day my breathing pretty much matches buck fever :o :D
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to Archery and Bowhunting