Field Notes Michigan

DeerCamp

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:53 pm

cjgaleana- Glad that has helped you!

As for me I have been seeing more and more deer each day now. It's nice to see them get out of their "safe zone" again, and coming out in day light.

I drew a turkey tag again this year, I got the hunt that ends on my birthday May 1st. Im hoping for a big present lol..

I was also wondering if anyone has ever used a tree saddle? Im really thinking about trying out one of theses this year, as I feel it would be a big asset..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

cjgaleana

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby cjgaleana » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I heard baiting may be coming back to Michigan's LP this year. Anyone know if it's going to happen?

DeerCamp

Turkey Hunt

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Well I finally got it done! I took a nice Jake as my frist bird in Parma Michigan.. 5 inch beard.. I saw plenty of birds, but the Toms just were talking back till the last day. I seen lots of deer and did work around the farm. Im looking forward to hunting it this fall..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Re: Field Notes Michigan

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 05, 2011 10:58 pm

cjgaleana-- I havent heard anything new on the baiting come back to the LP this year. I've just heard the same old he said, she said about the baiting rule. Myself I dont think it will ever come back.. Who told you that it might come back? I would be interested in reading up on this if it were true.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyone been shroom hunting? I havent found any yet, but Im going to go scouting this week..Im hoping to find some then. My buddy found about 100 up in Mio. I just love these things..They taste great with venison too!

Anyone else been turkey hunting too?

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Well a quick update... I went out and shot my bow today. Only the 2nd time I have gone out shooting. I will start doing this daily starting on the 23rd on June. I want to be ready and feel great taking any kind of shot. Today I shot 35 arrows, robin hooded one. I didnt see any deer or turkeys while shooting today, but that doesnt mean that they werent out there.

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:10 pm

I found a few mushrooms on Memorial day at my girlfriends cottage in Cedar. They had a whole bunch growing right outside their house...

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Checked one of my trail cams the other day...Had all does and fawns on it. It will be a nice spot to hunt during the rut. Im going out of town this week, but Ill be putting out another cam tomorrow. Ill check it in a few weeks to see if I have any shooters on there.

On another note, I found a few nice shooter bucks while making my rounds on the back roads. Now is a GREAT time to hit the backroads to find out where deer are and what ones are walking around your area. This also is something that can be done with family or the girlfriend, its very fun and extra binos comes in handy.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am

Just got back from MI property.
Did some deer watching with the kids.
It looks like another banner year is in order based on the number of sightings (of course come nov 14 they could all vanish :lol: ). Saw a very large buck; largest I have ever seen. I'm wondering if it was the alleged "13" that was running around last year, or his lil brother. Either case, saw a good number of does and some bucks.

Another note, freaking TONS and TONS of rabbits. I have never seen so many rabbits. I talked with my cousin and he says coyotes this year ........non-existent. He's perplexed as to why (not complaining though).
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Well I went to check out a stand I had up for a while, in fact this stand happens to be my favorite stand of all time. I've have many memories good and bad from this stand location. Upon arriving I saw a TON of deer tracks nearby, that really got my heart pumping. In the 7 years I have hunted out of this tree, I haven’t seen anything like this before. I came to my stand and it was still there, which was a good feeling. I walked over about 20 yards and found a ton and I mean a TON of deer tracks scuffing up the ground. They were trying to get at the acorns. I then walked about 10 feet and found a MONSTER RUN WAY. To say the least I was very excited. So I decided to back out before doing any damage to the spot. I got down the trail about 70 yards and jumped two, I’m not sure what they were but it defiantly made my day. I won’t be going back till about a week before season just to check up on the spot again. Anyone else been in the woods checking out their spots? I know Mark (WiredToHunt) has some nice sign in his area along with some big bucks. Hoping he'll be able to give one a parking ticket this fall.

I like to do this just to make sure nothing has been stolen and that way I can check for sign real quick. It really makes me feel good and gives me a better idea of what stand to hunt come opening day.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan