Having orange on in the stand?

Does your state have a deer regulation that defies common sense?
jonny5buck

RE: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 pm

In illinois a hat and upper vest are required for the gun seasons.Although i only bow hunt[by choice] i have few gripes.I understand and agree with orange on,but here orange camo is unacceptable.To me that makes no sense,a pair of orange camo coveralls is just as visible ! Secondly i can hunt the muzzle loader only seasons in Illinois with my bow ,as long as i wear the required sq. inches of orange.,but i cannot hunt any of the shotgun seasons even on private property with my bow.What is the logic behind that???I believe that bow hunters should be able to hunt ALL the gun seasons as long as req. orange is worn and all laws followed.Im a die-hard bow fanatic,but have to travel to one of 2 parks that allow bow hunting during the shotgun season,because im unable to hunt private property a few miles down the road?? I don't understand the logic- muzzleloader=less dangerous? no way-it makes no sense-i think with the req. orange on bowhunters should be able to take advantage of all gun seasons not just muzz.!![:@]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

Out of those stats I wonder how many incidents were the result of the half cock safety's. Ex. 30-30's I know a few people with missing toes.

now that you mentioned it....NY outdoor news  listed the accident report....which was high this year....but one really stuck out... a guy that shot himself in the foot...FOR THE SECOND TIME!!...[&o][8|]....

I really could think of better ways to get in the paper[;)]

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 am

this year the feds wanted an orang top installed on any ground blind for their hunt on the great swamp national wildlife refuge hunt hank k

MoBowman

Postby MoBowman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 am

I read post like this and each time I wonder, with all the trees and obsticles in the deer woods how does that one lone small bullet find the mark of the hunter? Weather he is on the ground or in the air doesn't matter.....with all the possibilities of things for that bullet to strike, how does it find the hunter??? Sorry but you have to ask yourself that question.

Boils down to ignorance, stupidity, carelessness. Yes that is many people walking in the woods today, they just don't use their heads. Take this senerio, believe me as a hunter for over 30 years I cannot believe how many times I have seen this happen...

Your in the woods hunting, you have your favorite rifle in hand with that high powerd scope on it. Everything is right. Suddenly you see that bit of blaze orange in the distance. What is the first thing that goes thru your mind? Who, is in my deer woods? You figure you'll get a better look thru that new 10x100 powered scope of yours......you now have your loaded rifle pointed directly at another hunter. What harm is there in that? [:@][:@]

Happens all the time people, if any of you hunt public ground or even your own private land, I can bet you at one time or another, someone had a loaded firearm pointed directly at you, it may have been just to look thru the scope to see who you are, but thats how people wearing blaze orange get shot.......just some food for thought.
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass it on
www.Missouriwhitetails.com

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:48 pm

I have to agree most accidents are going to be carelessness, i have a buddy that was rifle hunting coyote with his friend....they endured a stalemate when one checked the other they were both staring at the other thru their scopes ,guns loaded-although im bow only i was brought up rabbit/pheasent hunting and can say we never had close calls-no Dick Cheney incidents,no reason to.My dad drilled in ''treat every gun as if it's loaded at ALL TIMES! and never point your weapon at anything your not gonna kill-no exceptions .

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Mississippi does not require Hunter Orange be worn while on/in a deer stand. Once archery season ends, I always were orange while hunting, stand or no stand. From what I've observed, the deer don't seem to notice.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 am

want to live a long life? wear orange in gun season!!!!!!!!!  Why not? Deer dont notice it. They pick up on movement not color. Its a common sense thing ;)
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

If I saw some....I shouldn't say this but I will....ASSHOLE intentionally pointing a loaded firearm at me, then they'd be looking awfully funny walking into the ER with one sticking out their posterior.

THAT'S WHAT BINOCULARS ARE FOR MORON!!!!!!!! [:@]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

frank8871

Re: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby frank8871 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:09 am

i understand needing orange but you may be in a ground blind where noone would see it anyway

kellory

Re: Having orange on in the stand?

Postby kellory » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Even my ground blind wears orange! My blind came with a camo orange cap that slides over the top and bungees in place in seconds. Thus hunters see by blind with me inside, and deer do not. No brainer.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Dumb deer laws