Bow camo

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
charlie 01

Bow camo

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm

I wonder if anyone out there has tried camo on their bow. I would think it would be a plus for anyone that uses stalking as a way of hunting. In the past I used to hunt a thick brushy area. In there, was a small clearing that had a very small water hole. The clearing was maybe 20'x20', with a small oak tree close to the clearing edge. I was able to hunt out of that oak tree, but being as small as it was I was limited to 7-8' from the ground. And the possibility of being siloueted (depending on the time and kind of day) was ever present. The first few times hunting there, the deer picked me out. To solve my problem I went to a craft shop and purchased artificial leaves of different types and color. Getting soft ones that make no noise when rustled, is a must. I fastened them to the top and bottom limbs of my bows. When ever a deer came into the clearing I would hold the bow as if to shoot the deer ( held out in front of me) even if I had no intention of doing so, and the deer rarely picked me out. I shot some nice bucks out of that clearing and I still believe a lot of credit was due to the bow camo. Some would look, but it was if they couldn't see beyond the bow. Anyway,just thought I would pass it along. I was a cheap fix that worked for me and a few of my hunting friends. I'll see if I can post some pics of tbe bow.
Img_1716.jpg
Img_1716.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Img_1718.jpg
Img_1718.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bobow

Re: Bow camo

Postby bobow » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Slick idea. I'll have to look around in the craft shops. Thanks
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:19 pm

As you know I'm a ground hunter, and I camo my bow. Nothing fancy, I just cover the front of the limbs on my recurve with CLOTH camo tape. The main purpose for me is to eliminate glare or shine that might come off the bow.

I've always gotten a kick out of the camo duct tape that you see sold. It's camo all right, but it also shines like a beacon! I can't see any serious deer/turkey or waterfowl hunters using any of that!

BTW.....here's a site that has camo leaf sets for camo-ing a bow, gun, or in my case my ghillie suit.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/sto ... d-leaf.htm

And here's a link to a site that has cloth camo tape and leafy limb cover kits.......

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bow+Acces ... thumb.html
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

HoosierHawkeye

Postby HoosierHawkeye » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm getting married next month and some of the decorations my bride has put together feature some leaves very similar to those, gonna have to look into using them, thanks for sharing your idea.
Aim small, miss small.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Just make sure they are quiet- it could work against you. I had to put some webbing material on the front side of the bow to cushson and quiet the stems against the bow, then I used plastic ties to hold the leaf stems secure. I looked at those web sites- the craft shops are easier on your wallet.
never say never

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 am

Do you keep different leaf patterns for the changing season? :D
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:58 pm

No, whats on there stays. I can't believe it makes a difference what the colors are.
never say never

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:19 am

charlie 01 wrote:No, whats on there stays. I can't believe it makes a difference what the colors are.

I agree. I was just making a joke.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

I kind of thought so, but I always try to be helpfull.
never say never

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:10 am

I haven't camoflauged my bow with anything besides no-mar bow tape, but I have added silk leaves, camo paint, & tape to my climbing stand. I don't know that it really does much besides look cool and easily identifies my stand. But I like it. If it gives you confidence and pleasure, and doesn't adversely affect to performance of your bow, why not customize your bow the way you want it? It looks great to me.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Best Practices