What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers?????????????

Ky Bob

Re: What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers

Postby Ky Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Sad but it's the world we live in. Nobody it seems has any moral values anymore. They would rather lay around at home and steal than to work for a living.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm

I don't know about you guys but from the moment I set my camera up in the woods I can't wait to get back out and see what it has captured. I would be sick if I ever go to retrieve it and find that it is gone. I hope it never happens.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

baacke13

Postby baacke13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 pm

kellory wrote:I have never owned a trail camera, but we did have a problem with tresspassing thieves. Kids breaking into our cabin to drink and screw. Stole some long guns and some gear. I put up a dummy sattalite dish, a small qismo box that blinked and hummed, and an electro magnet holding a sign to the ceiling (powered by a solar cell and a couple of rechargable lantern batteries. Cabin door opens, it breaks a relay, sign drops, a series of flash bulbs go off, and the gismo box starts humming and blinking. Sign reads " Congratulations asshole! Your image is being sent to the state and local police! Have a nice day!" Never had a problem since. The guns showed back up outside the cabin later.

Now that is what i call funny.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:32 am

just yesterday while running my bear bait I found a very nice and very expensive Reconyx laying on the road in a small sand pit. I always watch for new tracks as I go to my spot and on the way in I didn't notice any tracks on the dirt road but on the way out I could see where someone had pulled into the sand pit and backed out to leave the same way they had just come from. The tracks drew my attention to the driveway in the sand pit and when I looked that way I seen something camouflaged laying in the entrance. Turned out to be the Reconyx. No batteries, no memory card. So my thoughts were either someone stopped there quick and when they got out their camera fell out of their vehicle or someone stole it and found out it was no use to them with the security code and dropped where someone would find it. Either way I gave it to our game warden and he said if no one claims it I will get it back.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Good for you, twice. You did the right thing, and you may get it back as a reward. Can you get a replacement code for it?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 pm

i'm sure if you called reconyx they would tell you how to reset the code. I looked up the price on the camera and it was $549.00. Thats pretty spending for a trail camera. I use the Cuddeback Excite and Cuddeback Capture that cost between $100 and $150.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm

If it is that pricey, there will most likely be a serial number, and a record of the sale. You COULD go through the seller to find the owner if you wish to return it.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:13 am

I CAN'T do anything as I said I turned it in to the Game Warden.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

I understood you fully. but you also said"and he said if no one claims it I will get it back." If that happens, I am just offering one other possible way to return it. Do what feels right to you. :)

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:32 am

ok if by some chance they don't find out who the camera belongs to and I get it back I promise I will call reconyx and give them the serial number to see if they can tell me who it is registered to!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras