Laundry Soap

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Proline

Laundry Soap

Postby Proline » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:09 am

I recently read a book by a well known Bow Hunter who claims he uses no scent no UV brightners laundry soap purchased at the grocery store for fraction on the cost we pay for the stuff in the Hunting Stores/Catalogs. I have always wondered about this and if the stuff in the hunting stores was the same as the grocery store and just repackaged and marked up. Has anyone else tried/tested this? The only reason I haven't is due to low deer densities in New England compared to other states and not wanting to blow one of the few opportunities we actually get.

bobow

Re: Laundry Soap

Postby bobow » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I guess the obvious question would be, what is the brand name and the name of the soap to be able to research?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 am

No brand name. In the book I read he just said what ever was non brightening, scent free and the cheapest.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:16 am

Baking Soda?

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:11 am

Most Author leave a bio or contact info. Perhaps a letter to the author or a call to his editor might get your answer. Might try a google search, as he may have mentioned what is was in another context.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rednecksape

Postby rednecksape » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I have been using standard issue laundry detergent for years now. I just buy the un scented detergent when I wash my clothes. And for the drying cycle if I do not hang them in the yard (which is what I usually do) I do NOT put a dryer in with it. And have had plenty of success!

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Red! I am actually going to wash my first set of clothes next week and am going to start the season with unscented right out of the grocery store and see how it goes.

ChasePhase

Postby ChasePhase » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:32 am

Unscented or hypoallergenic from the grocery store. Just the detergent without the special scents and dyes/brightners. Check the link out for images.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=hypoallergenic-laundry-detergent.html
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:33 am

After reading this thread I did some research. Looks like Sun and Earth laundry soap is scent and brightener free. As for the brightener, I've emailed S&E to verify. It is expensive but much less than the hunter specific stuff. 7th generation also looks good but is a little more pricey
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 am

Got the response from S&E. No brighteners. I'll be trying this one and saving some $.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

Next

Return to Best Practices