Opinions on over-calling/rattling.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
NCSurvival

Opinions on over-calling/rattling.

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 am

Hello guys,

I'm just looking for some opinions on the topic of over-calling and/or over-rattling (which to some is calling).

I've had a pretty simple view on the subject up until a recent experience in the woods has pushed me to rethink the topic. I've always believed (as I was taught) that you should call and wait, maybe 20 minutes, then call again. Over-calling would ruin a hunt, I believed.

Recently I read an article in a magazine that recommended, especially during the rut, that sometimes it is good to call non-stop and make as much racket with antlers as possible.

I couldn't believe this opinion, until I tried it and had two small bucks (where I hunt in NC, we don't necessarily have monsters) approach from in front and behind me. This is something I'd never seen before in 6 years of really hardcore hunting. I say hardcore because I'm blessed with ample time to spend in the woods.

So again, I'm just looking for opinions. I know deer are anything but "routine" as I've seen breaks in traditional behavior that the old and gray hunters swear by in these parts. It's evident that either they are sometimes dead wrong, or buck behavior is ever-changing.

Thanks in advance for the responses...

~John A.
God.
Family.
Hunting. America's real pastime.

Happy hunting!

pickleguy

Re: Opinions on over-calling/rattling.

Postby pickleguy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:59 pm

You have to do what works for the area & the time. You will find what works today will chase deer away tomorrow. If a buck gets his butt kicked today coming into a grunt he may hesitate tomorrow. Go with the flow in this case if there is one.
So to answer your question there is no answer. Happy Hunting.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

NCSurvival

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

You answered my question. All I wanted was opinions and you gave me one. Give yourself more credit! Lol.

Happy Hunting to you too! :P
God.
Family.

Happy hunting!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:12 pm

I think over calling happens after a deer has heard your calls. If your calls haven't been with in notice/earshot of a deer, continuous calling simply improves your odds of a deer hearing you when they do come within earshot.

So the tricky part becomes knowing when a deer has heard your calls. If your in an area where you can see vast areas and most any deer within earshot that becomes easier than if your in an area where you can't see deer until their practically on you. In the dense cover situation I think more conservative calling is simply the means to not "over calling" after you've obtained a deer's attention. Your waiting periods aren't so much as the proper amount of times between calls, but time to allow you to gain information as to your surroundings, the presence of deer and then make a further determination as to the appropriateness/need of more calling.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

NCSurvival

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Good stuff.

I hunt in dense wood and I actually used aggressive calling to bring in the two bucks mentioned in the original post. It's amazing how smart Whitetails are. I don't mean in the sense that they come; they all respond differently and to me that means that they can indeed reason, regardless of what many long time hunters say. And if Whitetails can reason, that means that they are much smarter than a big majority of animals lurking the woods not only in NC, but other parts of the country.

Thanks for the replies, I really enjoy input from different sides of the isle.

~John A.
God.
Family.

Happy hunting!

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I have never had any success calling, or rattling. i stay silent on stand now. it is my goal, to be completely un noticed in their world, until just after the point of impact. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

NCSurvival

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 pm

I can't argue with staying silent. A lot of hunters have had little or no luck with calling and simply choose not to do it anymore.

If you ever get the urge to try it again, however, the science has improved a lot. Aggressive calling and subdued calling both have to incorporate real sounding calls. You can't just blow into the call and expect wonders. Rattling, in my opinion, is all about timing.

Either way, thanks for the input brother, and good luck in the morning, if you're hitting the stand as I am!
God.
Family.

Happy hunting!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:13 pm

In all my years, I've never had much success rattling or grunting; but have managed to call in a few nice bucks making doe bleat sounds. Not much luck with the "cans" or the bleat calls, but actually bleating myself. The only time I ever had a deer come in to rattling, it was dark ( legal shooting time is one hour prior to sunup and one hour after sundown) and I could tell it was a big bodied deer but couldn't see what was on it's head. Since I always have doe tags, I took a chance and killed it. It was a big old doe, but the way she charged into the rattling, I'd have sworn it was a buck.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:50 pm

The buck I missed last Sunday came in to one of the can call doe bleats. I've had really good luck using the can during the rut in years past as well. However, I've found that the calls work best for me when I can see the deer, and use the call based on their reactions and behavior.

The buck I missed was at a full run through the timber on the other side of the field I was sitting on, so I turned the can 3 times and he stopped dead. I watched him with my binos, and every time he looked away from me or acting like he was going to move away, I'd give it 1 or 2 turns. As soon as he committed and started walking my way, I put the thing down. Amazingly, he crossed the field and came directly to my stand. I managed to draw my bow without getting picked off, but I must have just rushed the shot (coupled with the buck "ducking the string") and shot over his back just enough to leave a nice clump of hair laying on the ground by my arrow...

I've also had smaller bucks cruise through, then turn around and come looking for the source of my can call up to 3 and 4 times....

I shot he best buck I've ever killed with my bow at 20 yards working a scrape after I'd done some heavy sessions with my rattle bag and can call in an attempt to pull in a MONSTER buck that was bedded down in a grassy draw a couple hundred yards away from my stand... I was focused on looking for Mr. Big, then I heard a noise behind me and saw the really nice 10 pointer working the scrape in chip shot range...

As far as what works with calling, in my opinion it's a lot like Woodsie's idea about how to find deer: They are where they are, when they're there. Calls and such work when they work and don't when they don't... Even the exact same deer is likely to respond differently to the same calls on different days depending on the millions of things that influence their behavior minute to minute....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

NCSurvival

Postby NCSurvival » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 pm

I think a common conclusion is that bucks simply act different during the rut, and they act different in different areas. I will say that I personally believe that bucks have the ability of reason and with that being said, they may hear rattling by itself and reason that it can't be an actual sparring match, or fight, because there'd be much more noise.

I've had success in the last two days straight calling in bucks within sight by rattling, snort wheezing and grunting, and kicking leaves around. When they hear the combination of all these noises, I believe it makes them believe that there's something actually going on.

Anywho, thanks for the information.

Happy hunting!

~John A.
God.
Family.

Happy hunting!

Next

Return to General Discussions