Shot Placement

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: Shot placement

Postby JPH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:39 am

I have made the shoulder blade and neck shots and I can attest to the fact that they put deer on the ground in a hurry. But all things being equal, I'm like you. I prefer the good 'ol boiler room shoot. It is hard to screw up and a deer shot thouugh the major vessles, heart or lungs will die quickly. Since I do not hunt in the mountains, I can live with a little blood trailing.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:55 am

Thru the heart and lungs. I love tracking deer after the shot though. Part of the hunt in my opinion.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 am

with ppl so close here and having a big 8pt stolen ...when I went to get permission to get him......only 40yrds away and in sight ...but I wont tresspass...I now take the shoulder ...or as I repeat to my self before the shot....top shoulder lower neck...it always folds them up

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:55 am

I have use the neck and shoulder shots.I still prefer the boiler room.  
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:18 pm

I`ve read about the "hump" shot as it`s been called, the shot low on the neck. Even saw a diagram in an article in a lesser hunting mag, that showed exactly where to hit `em. I`ve also heard that if not placed pretty well, the shot can allow the animal to travel a great distance, often, never to be recovered.

I go only with the heart/lung shot, whether it be gun or bow. Few of the deer I`ve killed have gone beyond 60 yards after being hit. Many have fallen in place, or traveled less than 20.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Shortest lung shot by shotgun-dropped her.  Longest travel after lung shot bow-traveled 80 yards.  Never tried neck shot.  Pan

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

If the situation allows it... I'm taking a base-of-the-neck / shoulder shot everytime... They drop in a HEAP! The last buck I planted had to have been dead before he hit the ground.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm

i agree, i have taken neck shots and they put the deer down in a hurry, however there have been a few times where it hasnt. I will take a heart or lungs shot anyday of the week over a neck shot if possiable.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:24 pm

With a rifle I like point of shoulder for pretty much instant shut down... It does mess up that meat butIi generally grind my shoulders anyway... With a bow I like the boilerroom broadside or quartering away....With a shotgun shooting Buckshot I like the boiler room again broadside.  I don't care for and generally deride headshots and neck shots ....too many variables can go wrong.  I've taken both shots several times when I was younger and ego got in the way of good sense.  I was lucky and did drop my targets but since then I have been on several tracking missions with the neck shot -- usually with guys that were very good at punching holes in paper but have cleaned very few of their own deer and had/have no clue how that bone runs especially in a rutting buck.  I also had to put down a doe in my back pasture after season a couple years ago that some marksman had blown the jaw off of...starvation ain't pretty.  I've never heard of that hump shot though...  Anways theres my 2 cents...what I do works for me.

otwitw

Postby otwitw » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 am

i think its ok to shoot the high shoulder shot, but not a big fan of the neck shot.
still i prefer to shoot right behind the shoulder.
->>>----------->

Next

Return to Best Practices