head on bow-shot

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
charlie 01

Re: head on bow-shot

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Deebz wrote:I'll see what I can find... having gutted and butchered quite a few deer this season between my own kills and helping my wife's uncle, I can tell you that there is a decent sized hole below the backbone and above the sternum/ribcage...

Some where in this subject JPH put in a pic of a deers frontal anatomy. I looked for it but it is gone. Perhaps Joe would be so kind and repost it.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

i did find this one, but i haven't been able to find anything directly head on to show skeletal anatomy...
deer skeleton.jpg
deer skeleton.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

I've got another shotgun tag for this weekend, if I or my wife's uncle shoot something I'll try to take some pics of a real carcass...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 pm

That shows a pretty good sized hole in front.
never say never

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 am

One of the problems with that shot is that, though there seems to be a hole to shoot into, the neck muscles are in the way. Your point of impact is not just the center of the hole that you see on the diagram that Deebz posted. It's still a very tricky shot with great possibilities for a non recoverable lethal hit. Not likely to have an exit wound.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:58 am

Ohio farms wrote:One of the problems with that shot is that, though there seems to be a hole to shoot into, the neck muscles are in the way. Your point of impact is not just the center of the hole that you see on the diagram that Deebz posted. It's still a very tricky shot with great possibilities for a non recoverable lethal hit. Not likely to have an exit wound.

I agree that there is a lot of tissue covering the hole in the rib cage... but with the newer bows and equipment we are using, shouldn't we have plenty of kinetic energy to zip through? especially with a good sharp broadhead? The deer my wife shot this year was a frontal shot... her bolt entered right at the base of the throat, passed through the lung and liver, then exited about halfway back out the side pulling about 3 inches of the membranous fat bodies out the exit hole. The bolt still had enough energy to travel another 25 yards or so and bury itself 2 inches in the ground... This was literally the biggest blood trail i've ever followed. the only blood was coming from the deer's mouth/nose and the hole in his throat. He died less than 30 yards from the impact of the shot. (granted, small deer, close range, 175 lb crossbow all factor into this)

i think the angle you're shooting would be the biggest concern as to whether or not this position would result in an easily recoverable deer or a difficult/non recoverable deer. As mentioned earlier, a lot of guys would take this shot from the ground (as my wife did), but not from a tree due to the possibility of the downward angle minimizing potential damage...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40 am

I'm not as worried about penetration as I am with placement. It's not really a clear target. My response was based on shooting from an elevated stand, though. I do agree at ground level that the point of entry would be more apparent. Are you concerned about entering the bowel with that shot? I really try to avoid that at all cost...makes for a nasty, smelly mess and usually the loss of the tenderloins. It's very unpleasant to deal with.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 pm

That is a good point about the bowels... from an elevated position I'd be less worried, assuming the arrow enters high and exits low before making it that far... but a flatter shot from ground level could definitely make it into the gut sack... I think we lucked out in that regard with my wife's deer... the bolt must have traveled around the curve of the ribcage and shot out the side of the deer without getting into the bowel.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:20 pm

That is just a tough shot to make when elevated, period, unless the deer is looking straight up at you, which doesn't seem like a good time to shoot it... With a bow anyways...

Though the buck I posted I did shoot from a tree stand, he was aimed straight at me but head up looking sideways. He sprayed blood everywhere and didn't make it 100 yards running full steam. Though I doubt I would ever take that shot again, honestly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:21 pm

I hate to get into this again, but the elevated shot, I believe to be the best, if one is pressed to take it. But at close range only. This shot was at 15 to 18yds. My arrow was completly buried in him and did not touch the stomach. Being he was an older larger buck may have had someting to do with not hitting the stomach? It basically hit the heart and kept on going. I had no exit hole, but the blood from the entry wound srayed a very wide path, almost unbeliveable.
never say never

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Hey Charlie,

i did take a look at this last deer I butchered... the opening that is shown in the diagram above is actually much smaller than indicated. I took some pics, but I gotta get them on a flash drive so I can post them. My immediate thought was, "Wow, that's a way smaller target than I thought it would be... but that's only if you are trying to not hit any ribs... we blow through ribs every time we take a broadside shot, so i wouldn't think they would be a huge factor... more important would be making sure to miss the shoulder/scapula area... I'll try to get pics up when I can.

PreviousNext

Return to Vital Information