Coyotes

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

Coyotes

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Does anyone have any personal tips on the killing of coyotes? They are a nuisance on the land I hunt. I had one run up to and next to me once, as though I was not there. I hear and see them a lot. I have never hunted a coyote, but the landowner also considers them a serious pain in the ass, and I wouldn't mind helping out when I am out there, aside from deer season. Any references you guys have for info, or tips for someone who has never dealt with them aside from them being a passing nuisance? I hear them yipping and all that when I am out, and I wonder if I baited them and waited they might come out, but I know nothing about them yet. (I did set my turkey carcass aside however, just in case. :-) )
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Re: Coyotes

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Get yourself a squeaker call and an instructional CD that teaches you how to use it. You could also get a CD player that will play coyote calls but that's not near as fun or challenging as developing the skill to call them yourself. Once you get the squeaker call down good you can actually call them by "squeaking" on you hand/fingers. I've done this for years and you don't then have to call a call because all you need is your hands and mouth.

Did you ever hear a rabbit or some other small animal being killed by a hawk or an owl? That's the sound you want to make.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 am

Ok, thank you. I will look for calls and find some recordings. Do you ever set anything out for them to smell, or simply call?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 am

I just call. I know some make bait set ups for them but I never wanted to go through with all that effort!

http://www.psolt.com/products/p-33-predator-call.html OLT makes good calls.

http://www.primos.com/products/predator-calls/ So does primos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jEItQIAMgc Here's whole bunch of vids.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Sierra...if You get into Predator Hunting You'll love it...can't say or brag enough about it to tell You just how thrilling it can be! ;)

As Woods Walker mentioned there's nothing more rewarding than "Calling In" a Coyote!There are many types of mouth calls out there that are easy to use and work well in most Area's around the United States!The Knight & Hale "Cottontail" is a very god one to get and there are plenty of You-Tube videos out there so You can learn about using it and many other "Calls"!I also have the little Green Mouse Squeaker Call from Primo's that is rounded and flat on one side so it doesn't roll off a flat surface,this is good to use if a Coyote is in close and You want it to stop or come towards You for a shot!As Woods Walker mentioned You can make a squeakig noise with Your mouth and hands...another sound is simply putting Your lips together and making a "Kissing" sound....the Kiss of Death that will draw a Coyote closer for a shot!You can also use a Fawn in Distress call or a Turkey Call to lure a Coyote in!

Then there are the Electronic Callers that can cost a few Dollars up to $200.00 to $600.00,this is if You get into Predator/Coyote Hunting a lot more and want the aid of an Electronic Caller and a Decoy too!Another cheap type of Decoy is to make Your own "Feather Distractor",You can buy a wooden dowel rod paint it black or Camo colored and put a light weight string with a feather on the end of it,stick it in the ground out in front of where Your Hunting and let it blow in the breeze...I believe the brand Johny Stewart makes one that is black plastic and foldable for easy transportation and it works great.I have one myself,it is on a plastic eyelet with a fishing swivel and some light thread with a colored feather...I change out the feathers during different Seasons,white in the Summer and Fall and Red or Black in the Winter to show up in the snow!

You can also go to the following Sites for more In-Depth info on the wonderful thing called Predator/Coyote Hunting.I'm a Member of most of these Sites and You can find me there a lot under my same Nick Name.They go into the different type Calls to use,what methods work,how to set up and play the wind,what Rifles and Calibers to use along with the brands of bullets and bullet weights etc...!
www.predatormasters.com
www.predatorquest.com
www.gofoxpro.com
www..204ruger.com

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 pm

On a side note....some States allowing bait of Predators while others do not,You need to check around and see if it is allowed Sierra?

If You are allowed to bait Coyotes I would either stake down the Turkey hide or tie it up around a tree a few feet off the ground because the Coyotes,Bobcats or Foxes will drag it off somewhere they feel safe they can eat it.You also should think about Hunting Bobcats and Foxes where You live,there should be certain Seasons on them and the Coyotes too!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:53 am

Thank you for all the good information. I am looking forward to giving it a try. The benefit is less coyotes where I want to hunt deer. I hope we can kill a bunch, but we'll see. I wish I could be so lucky hunting as I was when I was scouting and one ran right by me.

I will check out all the links and the info. Thanks!

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Your Welcome Sierra...one thing I didn't think of til later is be sure what Calibers are allowed in Your State/County....some places only allow Rim Fire Rifle,others are shotgun only and so on.Not sure what Regulations and Laws are for Your area but I don't want to give You any wrong info about what Caliber Rifle to use?

There are also some spray scents You can buy to put out and cover up Your scent and to draw Predators in,if You look on-line or in any Trapping Section of some Farm Stores they will have misc Fox scents,Coyote and possibly a few others,the Company that makes the "Buck Bombs" scent in a spray can also makes a Coyotes scent spray too!

If You set up and start out softly with a Rabbit in Distress sound or some type of Rodent or Mouse Call it will draw in a Coyote at one time or another,these Calls will bring the Predators to You that You didn't even know were out there...trust me,be ready for one to come runnig in or sneaking in slowly.If You like Deer Hunting You will love Predator Hunting once You get the hang of it and I like using my existing ladder stands or blinds to Hunt from...it gives me a better chance at seeing Coyotes further out when I'm up off the ground. ;)

We just got back this evening from Coyote Hunting...had a Pack answer our Primo's Alpha Dogg but it got dark on us and was snowing pretty good so we walked back out of the National Forest and headed home.We'll probably go out tomorrow and try it again,sometimes You get a Coyote to come right in and other times they may hang up and wait til dark?We aren't allowed to Hunt with lights in Missouri but can Hunt by the light of the Moon and if there's snow on the ground on a clear night its much easrier seeing Predators then and we can shot them then.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

The other half and myself are hoping to dispatch some coyotes, and for the job we have .223 and .270, which are legal for here as far as I understand from reading on the DNR site. (Never will I get why you can use rifles for everything else but deer.) I will probably use the AR since I have used it more, but if I happen to be going by myself I can use either one I wish. I did kind of think that someone might want its pelt, and I saw the .270 blow up a foam target once, so maybe not what I should pick? At any rate, I need to *see* one first, so I will work on the calling before I worry about which rifle to take. ;-)

Return to Off Topic