Another first-time shooter

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Another first-time shooter

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi. Bear with me, I just want to brag about my son Aidan, who shot for the first time today. Recently I posted that my daughter also shot for the first time. I decided to wait to see when the interest happened and when I saw responsibility as well, so it turns out Aidan was interested at a younger age is all. I am happy that each kid got to choose when. :-) Anyhow, He was nervous, but did a great job just like his sister, really demonstrating the weapon safety we've been practicing. He got to try the AR, which we started with due to low recoil, and then the rest of us used my shotgun with the shot barrel. He wanted to try that as well, after gaining some confidence, and also did very well. He is 11. He was very responsible and listened to us intently, and was mindful of my fiance to learn the rifle, and to me to learn the shotgun.

So, just a mom here wanting to relay my pride in my kids doing a good job being safe, observant, and learning something that I hope will stick with them both. I think Aidan is the one that will want to hunt with me. We'll see what the kids say.

I was caught up this time and neglected to take pictures. Next time I will!

Have a great day everyone!

-Moira
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Re: Another first-time shooter

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Congrats to all involved. Children are the future of the sport, They will be able to see through the BS from their teachers and classmates about the evils of hunting, and later on they vote, so important all the way around.
May they enjoy it as they grow into it, and pass it on to their children, in their turn. Water bottles and pumpkins, or watermelons, make cool targets for kids. (very interactive.) ;) also the swinging targets that reset when you hit the right spot, those are cool too!.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

kellory wrote:Congrats to all involved. Children are the future of the sport, They will be able to see through the BS from their teachers and classmates about the evils of hunting, and later on they vote, so important all the way around.
May they enjoy it as they grow into it, and pass it on to their children, in their turn. Water bottles and pumpkins, or watermelons, make cool targets for kids. (very interactive.) ;) also the swinging targets that reset when you hit the right spot, those are cool too!.

You reminded me that I had forgotten our leftover pumpkin! Now it taunts me from the porch begging for the .270. I'll get the kids some winter squash, frozen cans, bottles or something for next time.

I do hope that it's something that will stick with them, and I will continue to encourage them to go out with me and shoot. Coming from an anti-gun upbringing, I tend to wonder how it sticks from one generation to another. But I did like to see the smiles on their faces when I gave them their targets to hang up and show. That is tangible stuff. And competing against one's self is a great motivator in life in all things.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 pm

"I tend to wonder how it sticks from one generation to another."
My view on that.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9038
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:10 pm

It's great to see You showing Your Kids the right way to learn about Firearms and Firearm Saftey.Ive got 2 Girls that I've taken Hunting and they seem to enjoy it but with School,different Activities and Boyfriends they don't go out as much as I do,they do love the Outdoors and Camping so the desire is there! :D

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:32 pm

1-GTOHunter wrote:It's great to see You showing Your Kids the right way to learn about Firearms and Firearm Saftey.Ive got 2 Girls that I've taken Hunting and they seem to enjoy it but with School,different Activities and Boyfriends they don't go out as much as I do,they do love the Outdoors and Camping so the desire is there! :D

That is so cool that they enjoy it. My daughter enjoys camping, and she liked shooting. And she likes fishing when I put her on some short-attention span theater type fishing, but I am pretty sure she may not be a hunter. She doesn't like the pictures of the dead deer in and on the cover of the publications I get, and she covers them up. My son, however, is starting to appreciate someone posing with their deer. I have raised them both as equally as is appropriate right down to the toys, so this is just their natural personality coming out. I will continue to encourage a variety of activities, and see what they gravitate to. I hope they might want to hunt as your kiddos do. :-)

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 pm

I was raised on Hunting and it was a way of Life,now its more of a Personal Choice and my Girls felt bad about shooting a Deer but thats how they feel about and can decide as they get older wether to keep Hunt or simply enjoy the Outdoors!My Youngest likes shooting a Bow so that will be another Hobby I can get Her into.Boys are a little different than Girls....must be their Natural Hunting Instincts? :mrgreen: ;)

I noticed Your Nick Name is Sierra.....after the Sierra Blitz King Bullets? :D :mrgreen:

Return to General Discussions