homemade attractants

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bigreddar

RE: homemade attractants

Postby bigreddar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm

i know this isn`t a homemade attractant, but sevevral guys in my club swear by this SALT THAT YOU MIX WITH CATTLE FEED.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:32 pm

ORIGINAL: bwhntr

Take a plastic jar of peanut butter and cut the bottom out. Take the lid off and use a drywall screw, fasten the lid to a tree or post about 3 feet off the ground. Screw the jar onto the lid, and you have an instant attractant with peanut butter.

[font="Tahoma"]Peanut butter works AWESOME!!! We can't keep up with how fast they eat it. They lick the jar so clean it looks like it was put in the dishwasher!

Here is an great PDF link that I found that has a TON of attractants and is really informative - Inexpensive Deer Attractant Secrets[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 am

ksredneck,

Yes, human urine!

All urine has a very high nitrogen content and it's basically the urea that is leaving the odor behind.  Provided you aren't eating a ton of odd food, ie garlic, peppers.., deer will not even flinch at the smell you leave behind.  I have even experimented with straight ammonia.  Wasn't sold on the results though, plus my urine packs easier. LOL

I just gathered up more trail cam photos for the week.  I created a mock scrape under a pine tree bow last Sunday (I know, not the desired licking branch).  The 2.5 year old buck that visited it the same evening must not have cared too much as he investigated the scrape and the licking branch while posing for the camera.

Give it a try.  Trail cam pics don't lie.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

ksredneck

Postby ksredneck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 am

has anyone had deer knock the peanut butter jar off of the cap? I'm asking this cause I just went and checked my jar after 3 days and found the jar cleaned laying 15 yards from the tree that the cap was screwed to! it looked like it was ran threw a dishwasher

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

[font="Tahoma"]Yea, I've had them rip it off the tree a few times as well. I now use 3 or 4 screws to attach it to the tree instead of just one. It helps some, but when they want to get those last little bits, nothing will stop them!!! [/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

ksredneck

Postby ksredneck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

I've been using the peanut butter thing now for about a week or two but recently I went to put a new jar on my cap only find the jar was littler than the cap so I had to improvise so I had a hammer and nail in my backpack so I nailed the new cap on a tree but I must of put the jar too close to the ground cause when I checked it their was claw marks in the peanut butter so I think a coon grabbed him a handful plus the deer have been hitting.

rocknroll

Postby rocknroll » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Here is one from the magizine outdoor life.
mix 2 oz anise oil and one table spoon creamy peanut butter with 1 oz vanilla.
Dont know if it works but I am gonn try it! Good luck to those that do try it let us know if it works!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

When the feed mill was open in town over a decade ago they had a feed that had molasses mixed into and it smelled real good. I remember hearing farmers tell stories that deer would come down and eat out of their feed bins with that specific feed in them. I read an old book written by one of the members of the Benoit family and one of them mentioned Redman chewing tobacco attracts deer because of the molasses in it. I never tried using molasses hunting or any other bait for that matter. Peanut butter really does wonders. Just ask my good friend who brings in deer out of no where with an open jar of Jiffy.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Previous

Return to Best Practices