adicted to hunting from Guam

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
malessohomegrown

adicted to hunting from Guam

Postby malessohomegrown » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Greetings everybody. My name is Joe. I am from an island in th e Pacific called Guam. I have lived here my whole life and heve been hunting for most of that. We have a species of deer here called Philipine deer. They live in the thick jungles and steep mountains of Guam.They are very tough to catch. I use a call that is similer to a cow elk to call them out of hidding. This took me years of practice and now I can safely say I have mastered it. These Toru's (buck's) as we call them here can get pretty big 200lb plus. Is there anybody else on this form from Guam or ever been here? Here is a pic of a nice Toru I got last year. I appologize if the pics isnt so great Image

kellory

Re: adicted to hunting from Guam

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Joe! That is a fine looking animal. :) .
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 am

Very interesting to hear your perspective on hunting. I'm pretty sure that you are the fist from Guam to post on this forum. Nice to have you.
I spent a few hours in Guam's airport on a military stopover in the late 60's. I remember a sign, "Guam is good" at the airport. Not sure why that stuck in my mind after all these years, but it did.
Again, welcome.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:56 am

Welcome Joe...Nice Post. I'm curious as to what weapon you used to take that Toru? Also, they look like really thick antlers...What kind of representative is the Toru in the photo of that species? Is that average…above avg??

malessohomegrown

Postby malessohomegrown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you guys. I used my Saiga .308 on that deer. Its a semi and that was the day after I bought it. It turned out to be a really lucky gun for me. It has an over under scope set up. I used open sights on that deer out at about 200yrds. I shot it a few times the day I got it and zero'd it in with the open sights but didnt have enough time to zero in the scope which is a Nikon Buckmaster BDC. That is considered a big toru but they do get bigger. On Guam we judge deer by their antlers. That deer is a "Dinga Dos" dinga is the part of a tree that branches off i'll post a pic so you know what i'm talking about. Dos means two (actually spanish but chamorro uses a lot of spanish in its language.Guam was under spanish control in the 1700's. A Chamorro is a Guam native and their native language is also called Chomorro) So not including the brow tine where the antler comes off the top and branches into 2 is considered a "Dinga Dos" We have dinga dos's(2) dinga tres's(3) dinga quatro's(4 but very rare) anything more then that would be considered a freak.I will post some pics of bigger deer that I have shot and also a pic of a dinga tres to give you an idea of Guam's deer. Btw deer are an invasive species on guam and it is believed they were introduced by the spaniards.

JayBird

Postby JayBird » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Hafa Adai , I was on Guam from 86 to 88. I was only 12 but I remember some Chamorros that used to call the deer with a dollar bill. It was really cool. I also watched them get the coconut crabs out of their caves. It was awesome.
Looks like you have an amazing deer. Hope there is more to come.

malessohomegrown

Postby malessohomegrown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Hafa adai jaybird. Hell yeah man I love it here. I started bibeking(deer calling) with a dollar bill when I was in elementary school.I also like to use those soft tags that are on pillows and stuff. They are similar to bills but they wont tear. Now I dont even need anything to bibek I can use my lips. Coconut crabs are very tasty and they can get really big. They can also snap a finger off if you're not carefull. Heres more pics Image my biggest toru yet. I shot him on top of a tall mountain. I had to go back .[img]home%20and%20call%20for%20help%20because%20I%20could'nt%20even%20drag%20it%205%20feet.%20We%20almost%20died%20taking%20it%20out%20of%20there.%20I%20shot%20that%20one%20at%20about%2040yrds%20with%20my%20Marlin%2030/30%20with%20a%20barske%20red%20dot.%20heres%20another%20one%20that%20was%20pretty%20big%20and%20it%20was%20a%20dinga%20tres%20[img]%20http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x440/malessohomegrown/20120209_072703.jpg[/img] and this is what we call a dingaImage

malessohomegrown

Postby malessohomegrown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Sorry i messed that up. I was saying that I had to go back home after I shot that big one and call for help because I couldnt even drag that sucker 5feet. We almost died getting that guy back to the house. I used my Marlin 30/30 with a Barska red dot. Heres another one I got last year and he was a dinga tresImage

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. Thats a cool looking animal. Congratulations on your harvests.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

XBOW671

Postby XBOW671 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Hey joe,
I'm a young sportsman on guam, I currently free dive, fish, and spearfish. I have some stalking and hunting experience and will begin hunting on guam soon. I've seen your successful hunts and pictures of your hunting ground. Is there any chance you could turn me on to a good spot for pig or deer hunting? I can trek if I need to and if you could hook me up with land, I'll hunt hogs only and leave the binadu for other hunters. Thanks in advance.
Sean

Next

Return to Photo Corner